Strange night time behavior

arazla

Songster
Apr 18, 2023
Hudson Valley, New York
My chickens are 14.5 weeks old and were moved to their new shed around one month ago. They cry and fuss as soon as we close the door for the night, usually between 7:30-8 pm, with rather pitiful heart wrenching whines. I've stayed in their shed a few times in the dark to see what's going on and to survey whether anything is amiss. They all clamber towards the south corner like they're desperately trying to push through the walls. At first it's mostly the hens crying and climbing on top of the head rooster who occasionally makes an irritated cluck in response. They even try to nestle under each others wings and eventually it's just one big kitten pile. Very little interest in the roosts so far. It's half roosters and half hens right now, 8 in total. One theory is that they automatically head towards the space where they used to sleep in their tent and are still confused. They usually slept in little baskets before. We put the baskets in the shed, but they have ignored them. However, the baskets are on the north side due to the layout and they're heading towards the south side which technically is closer to how they slept in their tent. 2nd theory is that they don't like the dark and want to be close to the door on the south side in case one of their humans comes in. One of the most vociferous hens jumps on my back anytime I bend down to put their food in etc, so maybe she misses me or gets bullied later? Another, but rather unlikely theory is this could be some sort of primordial fear or ancestral memory of getting attacked from a certain direction at night. They did cry a lot at night in their tent when they were little, especially when we moved them to our screened in porch. We also do have a lot of mice out here in the country, but the shed is pretty critter proofed and I can't imagine they would be afraid of a little mouse given their size now. I've seen them eat quite a large frog, albeit, it was half dead when they found it. A few times I suspected a predator was lurking somewhere near their tent when they were in the screened in porch, thought I heard something, so my last theory is that they associate bedtime as scary. I'd love to know whether I'm missing something here and whether I should be concerned.

My chickens are 14.5 weeks old and were moved to their new shed around one month ago. They cry and fuss as soon as we close the door for the night, usually between 7:30-8 pm,
Are they in the coop all day long or do they have a run to go outside during the day?
Most chickens won't go to roost until it's near dark, which is about 19:30-10:00 this time of year.

How big is your coop?
Yes, this^^^ in feet by feet, with some pics inside and out.

Does your coop have any windows or large ventilation areas? Do you have enough roosts? How big is your coop?
It's not a primordial fear are anything like that, they just don't like the dark like many young things. They're not used to the day/night cycle yet.
Just ignore the whining.
Coop is 6x8. Eight chickens. Run is about 8x6 in one place and another 10x15 for the rest. It goes around the coop. We sometimes let them out into a much bigger, surrounding run that is around 50x20 (we were going to get goats). There are 2 windows in the coop that we've been leaving half open. There are also openings between the beams of the roof and some extra holes we put in all covered with hardware cloth. It's still not as much ventilation as I'd like however since it can get pretty hot here in the summer, but it hasn't been over 80 in the coop and usually a lot less at night.

Are they in the coop all day long or do they have a run to go outside during the day?
Most chickens won't go to roost until it's near dark, which is about 19:30-10:00 this time of year.

Yes, this^^^ in feet by feet, with some pics inside and out.
36A48D1D-6633-494B-B2D4-4379011A2820.jpeg

Here are some from outside. Still working on it. I’ll get more.

Attachments

• EB99BCF0-C11E-4E07-AD0B-2EB6ACA235E4.jpeg
    EB99BCF0-C11E-4E07-AD0B-2EB6ACA235E4.jpeg
    779.3 KB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom