Odd behavior, pale small comb.

Chicken poppy

Fashionably late 🎤🦆
Premium Feather Member
May 9, 2021
Poppyland
So i’ll start this off by saying Darling has been acting weird for a while now. Shes a female, serama, 1 1/2 or so years old.

I see nothing visually wrong with her other then her behavior and her comb. I looked around for a minute for more visual problems, and saw nothing. Even in her mouth, i saw nothing there either.

She really first started acting like this when i got rid of Vanilla, a silkie. She was so darn attached to that boy but unfortunately we had to give him away due to his excessive crowing. Now, i will say, i will not miss his crowing. But it did hurt my heart to see Darling so upset.

Now, i do know that chickens tend to get sad when something happens to some of their flockmates. She was lonely for almost her entire life, really. We couldn’t find her a friend because she was so bossy, but she loved him. Anyway, i think this was like 2 months ago, Its been a while. She can’t possibly STILL be depressed over his disappearance, could she?

I had a similar situation, 2 very very attached chickens, more attached then these to, and i had to get rid of one. You could tell the other one was extremely sad, but that lasted for about a day, and she carried on to her chicken behaviors. We got her 2 friends around 5 months, but still she seems so off.

Her behavior is depressed. She kinda just sits there in front of the mirror all day. She doesn’t eat to much, but then again, she never ate a ton.
She just seems so, so sad. And sleepy, very very sleepy all day. You pick her up and she will usually just fall asleep.

Her comb is smaller then when i first got her, and much much paler, yellowish.

I will get a picture if needed, help is appreciated.

Can you post some photos?

She sits in front of a mirror all day. Does she have an outdoor coop/run where she's able to roam about a little or is she caged?
Sleeping. Just sitting there sleeping. It doesn’t look right.

She can roam lots. Its a gated fence, but plenty big for her. Bigger then a garage.

Shes in a coop Inside it, but shes never locked in unless its night time.

I’ll get some later today.

I agree, it doesn't sound right.

She's not gone broody on you has she?
Definitely not.

I mean, she has a long long time ago when i first got her. But she is not on a nest of any sort, and hasn’t been on one for months. Not laying eggs either. (For 1+ months)

@Wyorp Rock

Heres the photo.
638B70C8-6278-412A-9D64-1216E58BADD6.jpeg
It was a little more yellowish yesterday, but its gotten smaller to.

Comparison from about a half a year back (or longer)

FE23DE96-8B6D-45C3-9F04-1BF66DBF7134.jpeg

I see what you mean about her color :(

What's her poop like?
The lethargy is concerning, does she still lay eggs? Her crop emptying overnight?

I'd work on getting her hydrated. Then see if she will eat a little something.
Is getting a fecal float an option for you to see if she has worms?

I see what you mean about her color :(

What's her poop like?
The lethargy is concerning, does she still lay eggs? Her crop emptying overnight?

I'd work on getting her hydrated. Then see if she will eat a little something.
Is getting a fecal float an option for you to see if she has worms?
No eggs.

As far as i can tell, yes, her crop is. It feels normal but i’ll check again. Always better to be 100%.

Most likely not, but i did give her de worming medicine because i was worried it was possible she got some. Poop looks normal to.

What did you give her?
Safegaurd.

I forgot the worms one of my chickens had (they run in the same yard, so i figured she would have picked it up already and just did her aswell.)

I know safeguard treats the worm that one of the chickens had, just not sure the name of the worm. I forget.

Back
Top Bottom