Odd behavior

She's yet to lay any eggs. She is just about the right age to start though.

Hhhm, she may have some plumbing problems which are now just becoming symptomatic because she is POL.

A couple of other things that I believe can cause those symptoms are internal or external parasites; worms, mites, lice.

Sometimes a good indication of an issue can be the poops; how are her poops?

I don't see a lot of strange looking droppings. Sometimes I will find runny yellowish brown poop but from what I understand is that can just be the result of cecal poop, and it is definitely not like that all the time. The cold weather wouldn't be a problem, would it? I just feel that because she's so small she might not be able to handle it as well.

I am noticing that her father who is also a banty does the wing droop and holds his tail straight out behind him as well, which kinda makes me think it's the weather change. Only difference is she will sit with her eyes closed when doing it, and typically in the sunlight.

I too hope that you are able to get to the bottom of this.

Besides the suggestions I have already made, I probably can not help any more except to say keep an eye on her and if she does not improve, hopefully she will show some sign or symptom which may help you identify if she does have a problem and what it is.

May be, if she is mimicking her father, she is just trying to warm up .. I know my gals enjoy a puff up in the sun with their eyes closed:

Howdy chickens really

Just wanted to point out, in case of any confusion. Those were my chickens’ pictures, not the OP’s and I was simply showing them as the OP mentioned that her chicken was laying in the sunshine with her eyes closed and they were for comparison and to show that it was normal.

Yep, touch wood, no health issues in my flock at the moment
big_smile.png

What about the possibility of mareks? She's young still, and as I mentioned earlier they are purely livestock and they are quite despensible so I don't vaccinate them. There is no history of mareks in my flocks but perhaps her wings are beginning to get paralized. That would make sense as to why she won't fly up to the roost, and she seems to have limited ability to use her wings efficiently.

Howdy chickens really

Just wanted to point out, in case of any confusion. Those were my chickens’ pictures, not the OP’s and I was simply showing them as the OP mentioned that her chicken was laying in the sunshine with her eyes closed and they were for comparison and to show that it was normal.

Yep, touch wood, no health issues in my flock at the moment
big_smile.png
Touch'e........lol

Yeah, those Birds were fine.....lol...................
lau.gif

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom