Odd Behavior

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by KDK1, Aug 31, 2011.

1. KDK1

KDK1 Chillin' With My Peeps

I've got 6 RIRs. The dominant one started laying about 6 weeks ago. She doesn't make much noise at all... just a little grumbling. Number 2 hen started laying about a week ago and is very loud... Before, during and after laying. The strange part is, she won't let anyone else in the coop while she's laying. If she sees another hen coming up the ramp she promptly runs them off. All the others have learned not to enter the coop while she's laying. I'm not new to chickens but never have encountered this behavior before. Anyone else?

Last edited: Sep 1, 2011
  2. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Quote:She is just bossy. She doesn't want the other hens "pestering" her. I wouldn't worry about it. [​IMG]

I have a Dark Cornish hen, Autumn, when she lays and egg she never "sings the egg song" like the other girls do. Other hens I have will cackle on and on for hours, and then the roosters will join in and pretty soon everyone is screaming bloody murder and they don't even know why!! [​IMG]

~ Aspen [​IMG]

3. openheartnp

openheartnp Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2011
    Green Twp, NJ
    Mrs. Fluffy Puffy :

I have a Dark Cornish hen, Autumn, when she lays and egg she never "sings the egg song" like the other girls do. Other hens I have will cackle on and on for hours, and then the roosters will join in and pretty soon everyone is screaming bloody murder and they don't even know why!! [​IMG]

~ Aspen [​IMG]

Oh, I thought all that racket WAS the egg song. LOL I have one hen that growls whenever someone gets near.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by