Odd Chicken Behaviour ???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by nlyles, Jul 8, 2010.

1. nlyles

nlyles Out Of The Brooder

Jul 8, 2010
    Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum and new to raising chickens. I've been reading some of the topics and I'm glad I found this site. I have a question, our chicks are about 4 months old. One of them I've noticed for the last several days keeps walking around with her wings slightly spred out. She seems fine otherwise, except for the fleas we are using DE for. None of the other hens are doing this so it just seems odd to me but it maybe normal.

2. RM44

RM44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2009
    Woodstock, Georgia
    Is it hot where you are? My chickens spread their wings out slightly and sometimes even pant when it gets hot fast (like today, it was 70 degrees when I woke up, but scheduled to be 100 in the afternoon, so I know there will be some panting chickens in my run today).

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

They will put their wings out when they are hot. You may or may not notice them panting as well. Make sure they have lots of cool water. Cold watermelon is also appreciated by them on hot days.

4. MrChicken207

MrChicken207 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2010
    Caribou, Maine
    That's what I thought when I read the original post. It's the heat. keep giving them cold water.

5. nlyles

nlyles Out Of The Brooder

Jul 8, 2010
    It is hot here in SC and she is the biggest of the girls. Thanks for the tip on the watermelon. I have a few in the garden with blossom end rot that maybe just perfect for them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by