Odd Color Chick from Splash Silkie Pair PIC

I don't know. I kept a Calico cockerel from a egg that was split. He jumped the dividers, each and ever one and hit every girl out there. I really did love this boy but he had to go. Then I have one partridge. Most of the time she is broody in the white pen. I want them to look like this one and she was hatched from my chickens.
26449_dsc03630.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
The porcelain appearing birds coming out of splash pens are not always carrying dilute. I have a couple gorgeous 'porcelains' that came from splash on splash breeding and they are not dilute. Bred to a lavender rooster (verified lavender by results of breedings to black and black split to lav) they threw all chipmunky and white with black chipmunky stripes or part of stripes, all of which feathered in blue or blue partridge.

I think most of the 'porcelain' birds aren't truly carrying the dilution genes, which could be why sometimes the males, in particular, seem to get some fairly strong buff/reddish color on the wings. It's all very interesting, and I wish I knew what was going on. They are obviously proving to be reproducible, as your gorgeous breeders show Karen, but I wonder how many are truly carrying any dilute gene.

Perhaps Sonoran would have a clue? I certainly don't.

Quote:
Hey Sundown....I also had 3 hatch out last week that are that color..I could not decide for sure if they where different til I got them out of the incubator and compared with others. Maybe we will be able to tell more when wing feathers start coming in.

I've had the best results with the porcelains by breeding porc to porc, even though I was told it was better to breed to buff or lav. Out of about 40 chicks I hatched earlier this year I had one chipmunk baby which feathered out blue. Otherwise, they are fairly consistent in color except one little pullet who looks like a paint:) She is a very light undercoat - not quite white, but with that "off" color you see in a lot of the paints, a tiny bit of dun coloring on her neck and black/blue splashes on her body. It will be very interesting to see what she looks like in a few months. Makes me wonder again about the origin of paints....
I'm breeding some porcelains to lav right now, but don't yet have the results - I've had a lot more off colors with the lavs than with the porcelains:( Think nearly all of the porcelains have their origin with George's birds & I just don't know what colors he used.

OK....I have a good one for you here. One of my friends here and I absolutely cannot figure out....what coloration...pattern...just what this silkie is. It looked like a Calico when it hatched. Any help is very appreciated!

70714_s5030935.jpg

70714_s5030936.jpg

The only place that is buffed colored is her breast...the other is maybe blue partridge...I really do not know. It is the only odd ball in the whole group!

Quote:
The porcelain appearing birds coming out of splash pens are not always carrying dilute. I have a couple gorgeous 'porcelains' that came from splash on splash breeding and they are not dilute. Bred to a lavender rooster (verified lavender by results of breedings to black and black split to lav) they threw all chipmunky and white with black chipmunky stripes or part of stripes, all of which feathered in blue or blue partridge.

I think most of the 'porcelain' birds aren't truly carrying the dilution genes, which could be why sometimes the males, in particular, seem to get some fairly strong buff/reddish color on the wings. It's all very interesting, and I wish I knew what was going on. They are obviously proving to be reproducible, as your gorgeous breeders show Karen, but I wonder how many are truly carrying any dilute gene.

Perhaps Sonoran would have a clue? I certainly don't.

I agree. I see a lot of birds that people are calling porcelains that do not appear to be pure for lav, which then dilutes both red and black pigment.

Quote:
Ohh Ohh I have one like this turned out to be a rooster I still have him I will post pics later. This is only the 2nd one I have ever seen that looked like him.

Here He is:

SDC101499.jpg

SDC10174.jpg

SDC10175.jpg

Here he is now at 3 years old.
13823_picture_1424.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom