Odd Color Chick from Splash Silkie Pair PIC

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by SundownWaterfowl, May 24, 2011.

1. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

This one hatched out yesterday afternoon. [​IMG] It is a strange color and has a stripe going down its back. Any ideas as to what it is? It is from a splash pair.

2. kelar

kelar Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    yacolt
    Hey Chelsea - this one could turn out to be a porcelain. Not the first time a porc has come out of a splash pen:)

3. SundownWaterfowl

Quote:Interesting. If it is, what would it be bred to? Buff?

4. kelar

kelar Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    yacolt
    I'd wait and see how it feathers out. You can breed porcelain to buff, lavender or porcelain depending on how much dilution you want and other qualities you might want to improve upon. A lot of the porcelains from these splash breedings produce cockerels that look splash in the second generation - hens look porcelain. I suspect these "porcelains" are just off colored splash from red leakage in the splash lines, although it's certainly possible there is some lavender mixed in there too. I guess I'd assume, unless I knew the background lineage, that they are not carrying lav and breed back to lav first and then maybe to a buff carrying lav. Since porcelains should be carrying 2 copies of lav, it would be a project. Guess I'd see how it grows out and assess other qualities before deciding to use it in a project though:)

5. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    It's true with Lavenders being mixed in with splash bloodlines sometimes its super hard to tell the difference between the two.

Can't wait to see this one feather in. I have some odd color babies that came from my white hen and my ??? rooster I am pretty sure he is a lav split.

6. horseshoecreekranch

horseshoecreekranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2009
    Quote:Chelsea,
    We got two weird looking chicks out of our BBS pen. Very strange. They kind of look like your chick. These are the only two we have ever got like this.

Does anybody know what these chicks are?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. SilkieTime

SilkieTime Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Joelton Tn.
    I have two that look very much like yours.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 24, 2011
  8. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Neat! [​IMG]

9. SundownWaterfowl

Quote:What color did they hatch from, Splash?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by