Odd Color Chick from Splash Silkie Pair PIC

SundownWaterfowl

Crowing
14 Years
Mar 16, 2008
Southern Columbia County NY
This one hatched out yesterday afternoon.
Splash002.jpg
It is a strange color and has a stripe going down its back. Any ideas as to what it is? It is from a splash pair.

Hey Chelsea - this one could turn out to be a porcelain. Not the first time a porc has come out of a splash pen:)

I'd wait and see how it feathers out. You can breed porcelain to buff, lavender or porcelain depending on how much dilution you want and other qualities you might want to improve upon. A lot of the porcelains from these splash breedings produce cockerels that look splash in the second generation - hens look porcelain. I suspect these "porcelains" are just off colored splash from red leakage in the splash lines, although it's certainly possible there is some lavender mixed in there too. I guess I'd assume, unless I knew the background lineage, that they are not carrying lav and breed back to lav first and then maybe to a buff carrying lav. Since porcelains should be carrying 2 copies of lav, it would be a project. Guess I'd see how it grows out and assess other qualities before deciding to use it in a project though:)

It's true with Lavenders being mixed in with splash bloodlines sometimes its super hard to tell the difference between the two.

Can't wait to see this one feather in. I have some odd color babies that came from my white hen and my ??? rooster I am pretty sure he is a lav split.

Quote:
Chelsea,
We got two weird looking chicks out of our BBS pen. Very strange. They kind of look like your chick. These are the only two we have ever got like this.

Does anybody know what these chicks are?

35387_img_0443.jpg

35387_img_0441.jpg

35387_img_0446.jpg

35387_img_0447.jpg

35387_img_0450.jpg

35387_img_0452.jpg

35387_img_0466.jpg

35387_img_0468.jpg

Back
Top Bottom