Odd color feathers

rangelia

In the Brooder
Aug 14, 2020
Is it normal for odd color tail feathers on a rooster? Where did this white feather come from?

Attachments

• 20201220_131543.jpg
    20201220_131543.jpg
    654.5 KB · Views: 7
  • 20201220_131519.jpg
    20201220_131519.jpg
    466.9 KB · Views: 6
Is it normal for odd color tail feathers on a rooster? Where did this white feather come from?
Hi there, hope you are enjoying BYC! :frow

That would be considered a parasitic white feather and is one of the challenges of breeding high quality birds to the standard of perfection.. and just for overall aesthetic appeal. It likely came from a parent or grandparent stock.. somewhere in the line before him.. even if hidden in the closest direct lineage

Some standards will accept a bird with white on a portion of the feather but an entire white feather MAY be a disqualification. Most judges would look for plucked feathers if showing. I'm not familiar with that breed or it's standard.. looks like it could be wheaten and the gal maybe silver partridge?? Some breeds call the same colors different things than other breeds.

I'm no genetics expert and this is according to my current understanding having dealt with the white tail feathers when working with black copper Marans and should give you a good BASIC idea. :)

Hi there, hope you are enjoying BYC! :frow

That would be considered a parasitic white feather and is one of the challenges of breeding high quality birds to the standard of perfection.. and just for overall aesthetic appeal. It likely came from a parent or grandparent stock.. somewhere in the line before him.. even if hidden in the closest direct lineage

Some standards will accept a bird with white on a portion of the feather but an entire white feather MAY be a disqualification. Most judges would look for plucked feathers if showing. I'm not familiar with that breed or it's standard.. looks like it could be wheaten and the gal maybe silver partridge?? Some breeds call the same colors different things than other breeds.

I'm no genetics expert and this is according to my current understanding having dealt with the white tail feathers when working with black copper Marans and should give you a good BASIC idea. :)
Thanks for the reply. It's a bantam BBR (OEG?) . The hen is a silver phoenix.

Back
Top Bottom