Odd cropped chick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sylvar, Aug 12, 2007.

1. sylvar

sylvar New Egg

Aug 12, 2007
    Hey all,
    First post here, but I was on the old board so some of you may know me.

I have a broiler chick with an odd crop.

Description: Soft, squishy, over sized.

She foams at the mouth if I turn her up side down...so I know she is mostly full of fluids.

Any thoughts on treatment? She is definately not growing like the others. At 6 days old she is half sized. I am not holding out a lot of hope for her, but thought I would check in here to see if any one had a thought on how to treatthis problem.

Thanks!

Shane in Stoutsville

2. AK-Bird-brain

AK-Bird-brain I gots Duckies!

May 7, 2007
    Sterling, Alaska
    sounds like sour crop. its been awhile since we've had to treat it so I wont trust my memory to go into details try googling it. hope it clears up.

3. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    it does seem to be "sour crop" however as this condition is the result of something else going on, I am posting you the link to my articles on it (some are very technical but will still have bits of info that will be helpful to you)
    http://dlhunicorn.conforums.com/index.cgi?board=emergencies&action=display&num=1161893898

...I know is a lot of reading but this is a complicated condition which often can lead to severe illness in your bird when you do not approach it correctly. Also please do not turn your bird upside down... a bird has no epiglottis to close off the opening that leads into the lungs/airways and that "gunk" you see coming out will get in their and cause secondary infection in the airways.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2007

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by