odd dog behavior

I just wanted to mention that I had a dog once I had had her since she was 5 weeks old, and the first time she saw a gun she freaked out - Somehow she seemed to know it was dangerous. Maybe it was the attitude of the man holding it... I don't know, but she did recognize the danger of it.

That is really interesting. Your are probably right. They pick up on the smallest body language signs. Thanks for sharing!

Sweet Pea is a 3 year old terrier/bird dog mix we found at the dump three years ago. She is a happy go lucky dog, loves life, and loves everyone. Tonight, I fed her dinner, and we went outside as usual. When we came back in, her brother wanted to play, so I was playing tug with him. Of course Sweet Pea wanted in on the fun, so we played some tug and keep away as well.

Suddenly, she stopped playing ,and started to retch. I grabbed her collar, and gently pulled her off the carpet before she vomited. Okay, no big deal, I shouldn't have been roughhousing with her so soon after she ate. Except Sweet Pea felt terrible! She tried to cover her mess, and cowered like she was in big trouble. I never once acted upset with her. I was completely matter of fact, told her it was okay, the cats throw up more than she does. Plus as a mom I've cleaned vomit for years. I got the stuff to clean up, and in no time the mess was gone.

Why did she get so upset? It really doesn't bother me, and when I pulled her off the carpet, it was very gently. I wasn't upset in the least with her. Still it took a while for her smile to come back. I wish she didn't feel so guilty, is there anything I can do to avoid it in the future?
Did I handle it okay?

yeah you did totally fine. my.puppy banjo freaks over.nothing sometimes. I had to lift him by the collar once too in the EXACT same manner and he freaked and just dropped to the floor legs up in the air in complete submission i.didnt even say anything to him!! so i.just looked at him and laughed and he got over it and ran off.all happy.

As for him being afraid of weird things he used to get worked up over bits.of black plastic garbage bags and handbags. hes terrified of them... :s very odd little thing...

Back
Top Bottom