odd dog behavior

Godsgrl

Ostrich wrangler
12 Years
Aug 27, 2007
at the zoo usually
Sweet Pea is a 3 year old terrier/bird dog mix we found at the dump three years ago. She is a happy go lucky dog, loves life, and loves everyone. Tonight, I fed her dinner, and we went outside as usual. When we came back in, her brother wanted to play, so I was playing tug with him. Of course Sweet Pea wanted in on the fun, so we played some tug and keep away as well.

Suddenly, she stopped playing ,and started to retch. I grabbed her collar, and gently pulled her off the carpet before she vomited. Okay, no big deal, I shouldn't have been roughhousing with her so soon after she ate. Except Sweet Pea felt terrible! She tried to cover her mess, and cowered like she was in big trouble. I never once acted upset with her. I was completely matter of fact, told her it was okay, the cats throw up more than she does. Plus as a mom I've cleaned vomit for years. I got the stuff to clean up, and in no time the mess was gone.

Why did she get so upset? It really doesn't bother me, and when I pulled her off the carpet, it was very gently. I wasn't upset in the least with her. Still it took a while for her smile to come back. I wish she didn't feel so guilty, is there anything I can do to avoid it in the future?
Did I handle it okay?

I think just act normal. Don't feel sad or guilty because she will feel like she is in trouble rather than that you feel bad she is sad. If dogs are sad or scared it is better to ignore them than comfort them which is hard because you want to hug them like a little kid and make them feel better but to them that is just telling them yes, we should be scared.

You said you found her at the dump? Who knows what her life was like and dogs have good memories. Perhaps you did trigger something that someone who was mean to her did. Or maybe she was just startled or felt like she broke rules - making you happy is probably her biggest life goal. Another random theory: sick animals will often hide being sick or feeling pain as a survival instinct. Who knows. It does not mean that you did the wrong thing. What is more important is how you act after to say everything is fine and nothing here is scary. They have good memories but really short attention spans so they get over things quickly if you do.

I currently have two rescues and one abandoned dog under my care. One of the dogs was so abused when I got him that it took literally months before I could speak in anything louder than an appropriate library voice without him shaking, falling completely apart and peeing all over himself. He was two-ish years old and had very clearly never seen carpet before in his life. He is doing really well now but I am not sure he will ever be what he could have been. He is afraid of really random things and gets extremely sad if ever scolded.

My pit mix has a very dogs dog personality and does really well but every once in awhile has an odd moment kind of like you described. I have a gun but rarely go shooting and about a year into her living with me I pulled it out to go to the range. She FREAKED. completely terrified. I was just holding it, no noise. I do not think it is possible a dog instinctually knows what a handgun is. It makes me wonder what her life was like pre this one. Or maybe my dog is just super weird.

Your dog is really pretty!

Last edited:
It sounds like you did fine.

Are really sure she was upset? 'cause any dog I've had is not concerned about vomit in the least bit; especially if they just finished dinner. This may sound gross, but, typically, they go back to it to ingest the dinner again. Maybe she was upset that you took dinner away from her before she was finished??

Jim

She was definitely very upset about the situation, and acted like I had really scolded her, but I didn't. I don't think she planned on eating the mess this time, because she immediately tried to cover it up. Really pitiful when there is nothing there to use. Thanks for your input, Jim.

I would think it was probably a combination of things, my dog would rather be sick outside and I think if she was sick indoors she would feel bad about it, also you may have grabbed your dogs collar in such a way that reminded her of something in her past, it would be my natural reaction to try and avoid vomit on the carpet, as you say, not really a big deal but better outside or on a hard floor! Don't beat yourself up about it, she will be over it by now
hugs.gif

Thank you ChickensRDinos. I'm relieved to hear I handled it correctly. Maybe you're on to something with rescue dogs and fear. Sweet Pea is afraid of everything. I understand thunderstorms, and to an extent flickering lights, but glue? I mean, c'mon. I suppose she didn't have any socializing as a puppy with any household stuff. Thank you for your reassurance with this situation, and your compliments on her. She is a really good dog.

Thank you ChickensRDinos. I'm relieved to hear I handled it correctly. Maybe you're on to something with rescue dogs and fear. Sweet Pea is afraid of everything. I understand thunderstorms, and to an extent flickering lights, but glue? I mean, c'mon. I suppose she didn't have any socializing as a puppy with any household stuff. Thank you for your reassurance with this situation, and your compliments on her. She is a really good dog.

I love to hear that you want a wonderful rescue dog and am really glad she has found such a good home. They really can be great dogs when given a chance.

I love to hear that you want a wonderful rescue dog and am really glad she has found such a good home. They really can be great dogs when given a chance.
Thanks, we are trying with her. She absolutely loves people-especially men and children. She whines when the kids get off the bus, whines if we walk past someone and they don't acknowledge her. She also has the most beautiful smile ever. I need to get a pic of it, but she is afraid of my camera. Sigh She doesn't like to play a whole lot. I should reword that. She has energy to burn, and will play, but not with toys as much as other dogs do. If she is feeling frisky, she'll go after a bouncing ball, but otherwise she's afraid of them. She does like to tug and tangle up in her blankets.

I don't regret for a minute picking her up from the dump that day. She is a super dog.

like someone already said, she probably was punished by previous owners for doing this type of thing. probably more than she should of. i would keep that in mind for the next time this might happen and not punish her. this is somthing that just happens (throwing up) and cant really be controlled by human or dog. she might need some loves after it happens and she will learn that you are not going to hurt her like the other people might of.

i had a rescue dog that was beat. she was with me 10 years and was the best dog. she learned that i was going to be good to her and tried to protect me as much as her little self could.

and your doggie is adorable.

I think just act normal. Don't feel sad or guilty because she will feel like she is in trouble rather than that you feel bad she is sad. If dogs are sad or scared it is better to ignore them than comfort them which is hard because you want to hug them like a little kid and make them feel better but to them that is just telling them yes, we should be scared.

You said you found her at the dump? Who knows what her life was like and dogs have good memories. Perhaps you did trigger something that someone who was mean to her did. Or maybe she was just startled or felt like she broke rules - making you happy is probably her biggest life goal. Another random theory: sick animals will often hide being sick or feeling pain as a survival instinct. Who knows. It does not mean that you did the wrong thing. What is more important is how you act after to say everything is fine and nothing here is scary. They have good memories but really short attention spans so they get over things quickly if you do.

I currently have two rescues and one abandoned dog under my care. One of the dogs was so abused when I got him that it took literally months before I could speak in anything louder than an appropriate library voice without him shaking, falling completely apart and peeing all over himself. He was two-ish years old and had very clearly never seen carpet before in his life. He is doing really well now but I am not sure he will ever be what he could have been. He is afraid of really random things and gets extremely sad if ever scolded.

My pit mix has a very dogs dog personality and does really well but every once in awhile has an odd moment kind of like you described. I have a gun but rarely go shooting and about a year into her living with me I pulled it out to go to the range. She FREAKED. completely terrified. I was just holding it, no noise. I do not think it is possible a dog instinctually knows what a handgun is. It makes me wonder what her life was like pre this one. Or maybe my dog is just super weird.

Your dog is really pretty!

I just wanted to mention that I had a dog once I had had her since she was 5 weeks old, and the first time she saw a gun she freaked out - Somehow she seemed to know it was dangerous. Maybe it was the attitude of the man holding it... I don't know, but she did recognize the danger of it.

Back
Top Bottom