Odd gold leakage in black mottled cockerel

Trish1974

Araucana enthusiast
5 Years
Mar 16, 2016
North Central IN
My Coop
My Coop
This may be a stupid question, but all my googling has not turned up an answer so I must embarrass myself publicly for asking. I purchased 6 chicks and their mother hen (rumpless araucanas) about a month ago. Two definite pullets, two definite cockerels, and the other two are still questionable. My only double tufted chick is one of the definite cockerels. Being double tufted I planned to keep him.

When he stretches up and flaps his wings I can see a few gold feathers on each side of his saddle feather area. There is absolutely no leakage (so far) in his hackle area or on his shoulders. He is roughly 12-13 weeks old. Isn't it odd for him to have leakage in the saddle area but NOT the hackles and shoulder, which I always thought were the areas leakage would show up first. So here is my embarrassing question: does this odd area for leakage mean anything genetically (something hidden), and is there less of a chance or more of a chance of him passing the leakage on with it showing in this area?

I'm still waiting to here back from the breeder about the chicks' sire genetics. The mother hen appears all black, but carries a recessive mottling gene. Four of her 6 chicks show mottling, the other two are all black.

Thanks Karen! I did hear back from the breeder yesterday. The sire to these chicks was black mottled (mother is recessive for mottling). She didn't say anything about leakage, but I am going to assume since she has been breeding and showing araucanas for 20+ years she would have culled hard for leakage. So maybe its just a fluke?? No other chicks from this batch are showing leakage yet.

Thanks Karen! I did hear back from the breeder yesterday. The sire to these chicks was black mottled (mother is recessive for mottling). She didn't say anything about leakage, but I am going to assume since she has been breeding and showing araucanas for 20+ years she would have culled hard for leakage. So maybe its just a fluke?? No other chicks from this batch are showing leakage yet.
It would be a good idea to wait for your birds to fully mature and have their adult feathering before culling.

Back
Top Bottom