Odd Jenny behavior

Ercvt76

In the Brooder
Apr 17, 2019
We’ve had this Jenny for 6months. Today we let them free range since the weather is beautiful. I went outside to check on everyone and she is chasing my embeden goose. She’s cornering her and grabbing at her neck. She doesn’t seem to be hurting her but she isn’t letting up. This is a new behavior. They have been together the entire time we’ve had her with no issues. The Tom just follows the 2 of them around and watches. Anyone have any insight? TIA

Hormones are kicking in
mine are chasing the chicken hens and each other
they can get brutal if they can't get away
I have things that they can use as an obstacle to run around and places they can run to get away

We’ve had this Jenny for 6months. Today we let them free range since the weather is beautiful. I went outside to check on everyone and she is chasing my embeden goose. She’s cornering her and grabbing at her neck. She doesn’t seem to be hurting her but she isn’t letting up. This is a new behavior. They have been together the entire time we’ve had her with no issues. The Tom just follows the 2 of them around and watches. Anyone have any insight? TIA
The most likely reason is that the turkey hen is trying to move up in the pecking order.

I would be very careful. A turkey hen can do a lot of damage to other poultry species once they decide they don't like a particular bird. It's best to house turkeys separately.

Back
Top Bottom