1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Odd Looking Egg?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ClareScifi, Sep 21, 2012.

1. ClareScifi

ClareScifi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    My Barred Rockhen is 2 1/2 years old. Today I found an egg from her that is strange looking. It is covered with gray sandy patches of calcification, clumps and bumps all over the egg. The shell is not a uniform brown color as it usually is-- it is a lighter tan, mottled with a darker tan.

I am worried. She has been such a good hen.

I read that this could signal a reproductive tract infection or avian respiratory diseases.

What is your best guess? I read that it could be hereditary to some breeds (she hasn't laid any like this in the past, although a few with lesser calcifications on them). Or that it could be age-related in hens. But is 2 1/2 years old the right age for it to be age-related?

Could it have something to do with approaching the autumnal equinox (lessened light)?

In the past this girl was known to lay 2 eggs in a single day-- usually at the beginning of laying season in March. She hasn't done it for a long time. I'm wondering whether this might be what happened. She laid one and tried to lay a second and the second didn't fully form but put extra calcification on the first?

I did think I found 2 eggs from her the other day, but I suspected I had forgotten to gather the previous day's egg from her. But now I wonder.

I sure hope she's not sick. She's my oldest and favorite hen.

What do you think?

Her energy and appetite seem good. She has lost feathers near her tail but I thought it was from molting or perhaps from being mated by the rooster.

2. ClareScifi

ClareScifi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Can anyone tell me what percentage of Barred Rock hens develop ovarian cancer?

3. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    I get some oddly speckled eggs such as you describe from time to time. I have 3 barred rock hens among others. The eggs seem to be fine, they go in the cartons with all the others.

Chris

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by