Odd looking yolk

jswilliams430

In the Brooder
Sep 2, 2019
North Carolina
Hey all!

I’m new the the site and hoping someone can help answer my question. I had one of my hens lay an extremely large eggs. When I broke it open this morning this is what cam out (pic below). I have no roosters, just 4 hens. 2 road island reds and 2 (I think) Plymouth rock.

Attachments

• 58968B1D-2DFD-41FE-B9F1-5D7058DCED36.jpeg
    58968B1D-2DFD-41FE-B9F1-5D7058DCED36.jpeg
    383.3 KB · Views: 10
  • 207476C4-80CF-4C8B-9C9A-32AF9002B2FE.jpeg
    207476C4-80CF-4C8B-9C9A-32AF9002B2FE.jpeg
    210.4 KB · Views: 12
Thank you for the information! I will go and check my girls to see which one may be having an issue. I normally get 4 eggs a day but I’ve only getting 3. Wonder if that egg was stuck like you stated. But maybe thats why she’s not laying.

Welcome To BYC!
Do you still have that? If you do, can you cut it open (ghoulish I know :))
Looks like an intact follicle to me - read the post I made here - (photos are in the first post) https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...nglish-game-bantam-hen.1321148/#post-21541961
Another one too https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...ood-ball-inside-soft-shelled-egg-pic.1324813/
Oh! And I don’t have it. I did think about cutting it open but I had a toddler trying to assist me haha so I just took pics and moved on. But I’m mind blow how this happened without a rooster.. Dolly was very broody about a week ago. Wonder if she hopes hard eta chick would happen... haha poor bird. But I will check them today. All seem to be acting as normal

Thank you for the information! I will go and check my girls to see which one may be having an issue. I normally get 4 eggs a day but I’ve only getting 3. Wonder if that egg was stuck like you stated. But maybe thats why she’s not laying.

Oh! And I don’t have it. I did think about cutting it open but I had a toddler trying to assist me haha so I just took pics and moved on. But I’m mind blow how this happened without a rooster.. Dolly was very broody about a week ago. Wonder if she hopes hard eta chick would happen... haha poor bird. But I will check them today. All seem to be acting as normal
I would just keep an eye on her, there is not much you can do about it.
It has nothing to do with whether there is a rooster or not - the Follicle encases the "yolk" (ovum). When the yolk is to be released, the Follicle "splits" and the yolk enters the reproductive tract (loosely translated). Instead of the yolk being released, it looks like a whole intact Follicle was dropped. That was not an embryo, it was an "encased yolk".
Fwiw - during the mating process, there is no penetration, roosters do not have external sex organs, the rooster and hen "touch" vents (it's called the Cloacal Kiss).

To understand better what I'm saying, watch the whole video or if you want to see the info about the Follicle, start at the 2minute mark. Hope that clears it up a little bit.

I would just keep an eye on her, there is not much you can do about it.
It has nothing to do with whether there is a rooster or not - the Follicle encases the "yolk" (ovum). When the yolk is to be released, the Follicle "splits" and the yolk enters the reproductive tract (loosely translated). Instead of the yolk being released, it looks like a whole intact Follicle was dropped. That was not an embryo, it was an "encased yolk".
Fwiw - during the mating process, there is no penetration, roosters do not have external sex organs, the rooster and hen "touch" vents (it's called the Cloacal Kiss).

To understand better what I'm saying, watch the whole video or if you want to see the info about the Follicle, start at the 2minute mark. Hope that clears it up a little bit.
Thank you!! The video and your comment were very informative!!!! I will keep an eye on her! Thank you again!

Back
Top Bottom