Odd Mysterys

Matt A NC

Crowing
14 Years
Feb 22, 2007
Morganton, NC
I couldn't figure out where to put this post, so I went with ramblings.

I am so blasted tired. Between fixing a new lot and cleaning houses(I hate nice clear days), I spent the day walking and inspecting chickens.

The henhouses are shut up tight at night. There is NO hole larger then 1/2 an inch. I opened the henhouse at daylight as normal. Everything was fine. I set old LoveBug down off the roost(bad leg), put Ray in the lot away from the girls(teenage hormones in full swing), and let the hens go running for the freshly filled feeders/waterers. About 10am I went through for the first egg collecting and found blood. Not a little, but a LOT of blood on the roost and in the shavings. It was mostly dry so it was there for several hours. Someone had been bleeding during the night. It looked there was about 1 and half CUPS of dried and glooped blood. First thought was where is the dead chicken?

The blood was right beside where I got LoveBug down from, so she was the first I checked. Fine, She is the same as always. Through out the day I have checked every bird in the house. That is 36 freeranging birds. About a dozen are pets and will let me pick them up for a check, the rest had to be caught. Everyone is fine.

The only one with any evidence was Droopy. She had dried blood on top of her foot and down her leg. Did a thorough check and found NOTHING. She had no wound, no injury, nothing. Not to mention the fact that she was doing her usual thing. A bird losing that much blood should have been half dead or just plain dead. Droopy was red combed and as grouchy as ever.

I still have no clue what happened or where the blood came from.

Mystery 2 is that my very detailed records are off by 1. I am only supposed to have 8 black hens in the henhouse. There are 9. I really can't figure that one either.

Matt

WEIRD! I have heard of people sneaking chickens into other peoples' flocks. Maybe that's how you got your extra friend. As for the blood, does your hen still lay? Maybe it was something to do with her egg machine. I don't know, but it's strange to say the least.
idunno.gif

Well maybe she blew a vessel trying to get it out while roosting. Especially if her bad leg would prevent her from hopping down during the night/early in the morning before you came out. Pretty egg!

Quote:
Having been a combat medic 40+ years ago, I can tell you that a little bit of blood can go a long, long way, sparing you of the gruesome details. If I had not seen it for myself, I would never have believed it.

Quote:
I know a little can go along way, but this was a really long way. The roost is a 2.5" thick natural limb. It was covered for over a foot with about a 1/16 of an inch of thick coagulated blood. Then under the roost the 3 inches of shavings were soaked through to the floor with two 1/16 thick areas about 4 inches across where it dripped off the roost.

I still don't know who it was from and everyone is still perfectly normal. I guess it will just down as one of those things. With chickens events happen from time to time that you just can't explain.
idunno.gif

Matt

Wow! What a mystery! How in the world does one solve the mystery of a bloody mess and an extra chicken? Since we can't think of any logical reasons lets go with the not so logical. I say one of your chickens decided to produce a clone. I heard producing a clone can be bloody. Or your chickens murdered whomever trespassed and abandoned the chicken. Or the new chicken is a were-chicken and will massacre your flock during the next full moon.

Now that I have those random thoughts out of my mind, I'm wondering if the person who dropped off the chicken was injured? I can see a severely beaten person who was abused by a spouse who did not want chickens - trying to find a safe haven for her bird. That's my theory and I'm sticking to it.

Quote:
wow...

Could the chicken maybe have caught a mouse or some other small animal and eaten it leaving a bloody mess behind? I have heard that they can catch and eat mice.

Droopy may have had a blood-filled cyst or something that ruptured--that would explain why she's not symptomatic today, if blood had been slowly collecting in a pocket somewhere and wasn't lost all at once. Whatever it is, I hope she stays well!

Back
Top Bottom