Odd new egg color

breed her back to her father this spring and you'll have more barred, colored egg layers. Always cool.
wee.gif

Pretty simple, actually, except when the gene pool is mixed.

White x brown = lighter brown.
White x blue = blue.
Blue x brown = green.
Blue x green = more aqua.

except when it doesn't

Do a thread search for sex-linked information to find an awesome set of charts for your future chicken breeding pleasure.

So many options :) Someone needs to flow chart this. If you breed X to Y you get green eggs!
ya.gif
Only two genes for shell color, white and blue. Blue is dominant over white. Brown eggs are caused by separate 'coating' genes. There are over nine known genes for the coating. These can inherit completely independant of the shell color genes, and can be very complex. That's why there are so many different shades of brown. Green eggs are the result of the brown coating, applied on a blue shell instead of a white shell.

Pretty simple, actually, except when the gene pool is mixed.

White x brown = lighter brown.
White x blue = blue.
Blue x brown = green.
Blue x green = more aqua.

except when it doesn't

Do a thread search for sex-linked information to find an awesome set of charts for your future chicken breeding pleasure.

LOL except when it doesn't. This is great--thanks so much!

Someone call Maury as the plot thickens. After DH came home last night we went outside to discuss the brazen hussy who refuses to conform to the egg laying paradigm. Call me daft but I had totally forgotten about this guy. Upon further discussion we now believe he IS the father. We recall now (vaguely) when we purchased him and he was in the coop with the white hen for a while separated from the rest of the flock. He is much nicer than the australorp roo we previously had so we decided to keep him. The other darker barred roosters are likely his sons! Now what do we keep? LOL

Keep one of the sons. The rooster with two copies of barring will only throw more barred chicks. For a variety of colorings, use one of the sons. You'll get a lot more variety.

All had the same father. An Easter Egger with a single copy of the barring gene.

Keep one of the sons. The rooster with two copies of barring will only throw more barred chicks. For a variety of colorings, use one of the sons. You'll get a lot more variety.

All had the same father. An Easter Egger with a single copy of the barring gene.
They are so pretty! I was actually just making out a wishlist of different color hens that I would like to add. I would love to have a rainbow offering of eggs as well as a rainbow of color in the yard. I'd love a maran (for the dark brown eggs) and I am indecisive on which of the wyandottes to get. They are all so pretty :) Maybe we'll just keep 2 roos. That way if both throw the gene maybe I'd get some really fun colored chicks in the spring.

Back
Top Bottom