Odd new laying issue. .. Any idea's?????????????

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Newbie in Screamer Al, Apr 1, 2011.

1. Newbie in Screamer Al

Newbie in Screamer Al Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2011
    I would like some advise please.. I got an Ameracauna that is about 8-9 months old. After I had her 2 weeks she finally laid an egg a day for 3 days, then stopped for 3, and then a huge double yoker. (poor thing, had to hurt). I then had to worm my flock, and she has not laid an egg since, It has been 2 weeks. She had (what people said in here) was probably a soft egg hanging off her butt, and pooped a VERY clear mucuousy poop the same morning. The "soft egg"was a long wormy looking thing that was a very light blue like her few eggs were. She doesnt seem to want to come out of the coop now either. She seems healthy, alert, eating, and drinking, other then this new strange behavior. I checked her for egg bound, and I do not believe she is. I oiled her up just in case she was, but she would have been dead by now if she was. Any idea's would be appreciated. Thanks R Oh, Here is a pic of the "soft egg?"[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 1, 2011
  2. Break an Egg

Break an Egg Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    I had one that did that, well she was an EE, my only suggestion is to check her for lice, which mine had, I had no idea because I got her from someonw else, but she had lice bad.

3. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    She's under a lot of stress right now, being new. Different housing, different people, different environment, different food, different water, different schedule, different flock make up. That can't be a good time to be going through a lot of hormonal changes. I'd give her good supportive care, check her for parasites as she's new, make sure you feed her well, make sure she isn't being bullied and wait for things to settle down. She may just need a little time, to get herself sorted out.

4. Newbie in Screamer Al

Jan 11, 2011
    Thanks for your replies. I didn't mention that I have had her for about 6 weeks now. When she was introduced to the flock they all checked her out, but, the roo tried to show his donanenc to her, she grabbed him, and body slammed him down. She made it clear she was into any BS from them. They all got along well after that. Then the 1st egg 3 weeks later. When she layed it, they all bullied her to the point of a very bloody butt. I cleaned her up, and blu coted her and they went right at it again. So we put her in a large cage in the run for 5 days, put her out and same thing. We then put an apron on her, and pinned a cloth strap under her tail from the apron wing tips. That worked like a champ. They left her alone, and she was fine among em. It was a few days after that that the mucousy poop and soft egg thingy appeared, and she wants to stay in the coop. When I go in the coop she will come out and act normal, but returns to the coop when I am out. Thats all I got,LOL. Thanks again for your help..........
    Quote:

5. MontanaMomma

MontanaMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2008
    When my hens aren't laying, I look around their coop area for places they might be hiding their stash. Just a thought!

6. BooBear

BooBear Chicken Cuddler

Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
    Poor girl. She is scared cus they hurt her. It will take some more time for her to feel safe enough to go out.

7. Newbie in Screamer Al

Jan 11, 2011
    I hope thats it. We were going to take the apron off since they have left her alone now for a week. But I think we will leave it on till she gets back to normal.Just hate it for her. Me too, I miss her green/blue eggs.LOL.
    Quote:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by