Odd particles in eggs

chix

In the Brooder
12 Years
Mar 12, 2007
hi
my chickens are laying eggs that have odd little particles in them, fairly regularly. the particles are small and beige/brown. i have no idea what they are. does anyone know why they are laying this way and what that stuff is? it kind of grosses me out.

They are probably just meat spots. They are nothing to worry about just take them out of the egg. it is caused when a bit of blood or body tissue accompanies the yolk when it is releaded into the ovaduct.
smile.png

these things are in most of the eggs. i never see this in store bought eggs. why the frequency?

the youngest are about 1 1/2- 2 years old. i actually thought they were past their prime. it makes me uncomfortable to give the eggs away with these odd bits in them that i can't explain.

I've found that as the hens get older, the egg spots increase. These don't affect the flavor or usefullness of the egg...but can be offensive to your customers if you are selling eggs. You can break your eggs into a bowl and pick out the spots before adding them to recipies...many cooks and chefs do this as a matter of routine anyway. My eggs finally got spotty enough that I quit selling eggs from the old hens...have 25 pullets due to start laying in January...my customers are waiting...

I'm getting this too, but my girls are just starting to lay. It almost looks like a little food particle. I know which eggs to expect them in and I hold those out, and use them myself.

Back
Top Bottom