Odd Pullet behavior

denhenhouse

In the Brooder
Nov 3, 2018
Denver, Colorado
I have a 4 mo. Rhode Island Red pullet who is acting odd.
About two weeks ago I noticed a crook in Her neck but it wasn’t severe or impacting her eating or drinking. I added vitamin e and selenium and she perked up. Now she’s pretty normal all day long - eating exploring dust baths etc but at night refuses to go up the ramp to roost and falls off the roost if I place her there. She also does this odd squat and head and neck roll and seems agitated. Any tips here?

Can she walk normally or is she squatting or walking on her hocks? Do her toes curl under on either foot? Does she have imbalance when she walks? Is there a possibility that you could post a video of her to YouTube with a link posted here? I agree that it could be Mareks disease, but a head injury or other neurological reason could be the cause. I would continue the vitamins, and add thiamine (vitamin B1) or 1/4 of a vitamin B Complex tablet crushed into some food daily. Here is some reading about Mareks:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq.66077/

Thank you both for the tips and advice so quickly.

She is not walking oddly at all.

She really seems mostly normal - she always kind of kept to her self and was the loudest and that hasn’t changed. Sometimes she will lose her balance and will sometimes stand on one leg and curl the toes of the other. It’s really just pronounced at nighttime when she wont walk up the ramp to roost and does the odd squat and head thrash.

Thank you for the Mareks info and for the vitamin tips - I will surely give it a shot.

Thank you both for the tips and advice so quickly.

She is not walking oddly at all.

She really seems mostly normal - she always kind of kept to her self and was the loudest and that hasn’t changed. Sometimes she will lose her balance and will sometimes stand on one leg and curl the toes of the other. It’s really just pronounced at nighttime when she wont walk up the ramp to roost and does the odd squat and head thrash.

Thank you for the Mareks info and for the vitamin tips - I will surely give it a shot.
I was able to post a video :

I had no problem viewing the first vid posted.
Good job capturing the behavior.
I have no idea what her problem is but it looks severe and disturbing.
Something neurological, keep up with the vits for now.
Hopefully more experienced folks come along to advise.

Your video is dark. Is the back of her head pecked? Could be a head injury if it came on very sudden.

I have have seen drunken behaviors in birds exhibiting Mareks. That generally starts slow and worsens over time. Generally a few weeks from when I notice something odd and the bird is full on falling over and stumbling.

Thank you everyone for your replies! I am trying the medicine and hope it works. She is completely normal during the day besides her aversion to the ramp from the coop to the run, and only does that weird 'dance' at night.

hoping the medicine works. thank you all again!

Back
Top Bottom