Odd question alert!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Momagain1, Jul 18, 2011.

1. Momagain1

Momagain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Central IL
    Umm...a week out and I have 14 eggs from I dont know how many laying birds yet...we have 25 age laying birds..but they just started laying this past week...

so as of today we have 14 eggs...only ONE is a large egg..the rest are small eggs which is NOT making us happy...

we got these specific birds due to medium to large eggs....so my dumb question is.....

will they get larger as they keep laying?? in the beginning when they lay..do the eggs tend to be smaller???

My breeds are in my siggy...

[​IMG]

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

First eggs are often small, and at the opposite end they can be double yolkers. After about 2-3 months they even out.

3. Mtn Margie

Mtn Margie Overrun With Chickens

Apr 7, 2010
    CO Rockies - 8600ft up
    Yes, they will increase in size. Expect a few funky eggs as they gear up production.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2011
  4. KTruxillo

KTruxillo Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2011
    Breaux Bridge
    We had the same concern when ours first started laying, in fact my husband threatened to make them all gumbo if they didn't start laying bigger eggs. Our hens slowly one by one began laying in end of april and may and we now have mostly large eggs waiting for us. On occasion we get a smaller one in there but they have steadily gotten bigger as the hens have matured more.

5. ThinkingChickens

ThinkingChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    Some days will be smaller, some larger and some jumbo double yolker days! They just need to rev up their engines.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by