ODD SILKIE PULLET BEHAVIOR!

Georgia Nana

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 13, 2011
Kathleen, Georgia
Three of my Silkie pullets began laying this week! Yay!!! This morning, after laying, of the pullets was walking around their little yard picking up twigs and throwing them back over her back! What is the reason for this behavior?? I have seen my big laying hens pick at the nest box material while sitting in the nest box waiting on an egg, but never the behavior that this little silkie hen is exhibiting! What is going on?

Hi, I have had many of my laying age chickens do this. Some of our muscovy ducks do it too. I believe that the chickens are kinda trying to camoflauge themselves and their nests, probably an instinct from their 'wild' ancestors. Often they will sit in their nestboxes and put nesting material on their backs and sometimes they will do it in the chicken yard and then go back to the nest that way. I don't know if it is an indication of broody behavior but I have noticed a lot of them doing it when they are either going broody (start setting on eggs to hatch them) or have been broody for a while.

goodpost.gif
, and I believe right on the money!

Just keep taking her eggs away from her. They usually get the hint. Some people will separate them and put them in wire bottom cage without any nesting material to break them from broodiness. I usually just keep taking the eggs and it works. The only exception is my Key West rescue hens because they will hide the eggs or go steal them from other hens and hide them lol.

I’ve had chickens for 15 years and today was my first time to SEE a hen putting nesting materials on her back after laying an egg. I was wondering if she’s going broody on me. Oh it would be so nice if she is! She’s a two year old barred rock. I’m so glad to have this forum to get answers to my questions !

Back
Top Bottom