odd turkey

laura29532

Songster
7 Years
Jul 18, 2016
I have 7 turkeys all about the same ages. ( 6 months and 8 months.) They have a brand new barn, with roosts and stays nice and cozy. Its been easy to get them in nights.
but now I am having trouble getting one of the 8 month old Midget white hen to go in. Their run is huge and covered, 20ft X 35ft. X 12ft H.,but I don't feel right about her
staying outside. We have a bobcat and lots of raccoons around the back. Tonight as I was putting them in I thought I heard a turkey off
in the distance. gooble,gooble..I have never seen any wild turkeys but I am told theres some around. could she be hearing it too and wanting to wander.? this hen is spoiled rotten, my grand daughter goes out and sits in their run, this one will just come over and plop in her lap wanting the attention.!! I asked her to go out and help with the turkeys tonight thinking, well she'll go right in for her..NOT.!! she kept running right around her in circles..lol any ideas why.? we are getting some bad cold weather coming in over night, could it be the weather, the birds she hears or just wants to roam.? she is laying right now, been laying since mid December. ( been some freaky weather).she has been getting a little frustrated when I take the eggs, shes had three under her when I go in and pick them up( I have six hens) that all want to lay in the same box.! although they have separate nest boxes..lol

How big is your shed? Is there enough room for everyone?

Some of my turkeys prefer to sleep outside on a roost in the run.

Turkeys can be quite stubborn once they set their mind to something.

I find it's easier to herd turkeys with a stick in each hand and they are used as guides. My turkeys run everywhere too until I pick up a stick or two and suddenly I have more control. They aren't used to hit them, just as extensions of your arms to guide where they go.

My midget ladies are already showing broodiness...getting pissy about taking eggs, refusing to go back in the pen (large dog kennel). They're 10 months old. I had assumed that this was normal behavior for pre-Moms.

Roosting in the open air is their natural preference. In my kennel, they like the least obtrusive shade cloth overhead. I've accidentally left them "out" and about 1/2 came into their pen on their own. The rest found trees or roosts available with the laying hens--all open to the stars.

And we use the 2-stick herding method, too.

Been awhile but yeah they have plenty of room. Their shed is 16 X 26 ft. X 10 ft high.
I'm guessing here but I think they maybe looking to nest..I been collecting all the eggs, now their getting kinda prissy when I do, one makes a hussy sound,squeezes her legs when I reach under her and stamps her feet..Lol I've decided it's time to just let her keep them now and see how she's doing..my blue slates aren't as friendly but they don't mind giving them up..they do have very different personalities...lol

I always use a stick to push hens off the nest to collect the eggs, they can get pretty protective, you are braver than me.

mine are just big babies..lol my grand daughter spoils them rotten..:) she goes out in their yard and sits, the midget whites come right over and climb in her lap..they love to be cuddled..she tucks some goodies in her jacket pocket, they go right to her pocket everytime..lol I washed her jacket today, green mush in the washer..guess you shouldn't wash spinach greens..lol today I figured out why she was getting a little pissy about getting her eggs..she has a whole different place where shes laying now..hid them behind the box where I keep bails of hay in the shed..guess she just wants to sit on them and hatch some of her own...lol my blue slates don't seem to mind me taking their eggs,they get right up and leave when I go into the barn. I think the midgets are just more people friendly..Ive raised these two from 2 day olds, so I think that's why their more people friendly. my blue slates I bought at 3 1/2 months old, so their not used to being held or messed with..their coming around though, eating out of her hand now..she'll have them spoiled very soon...lol

I have heard that midget whites lay more and are more reliable at being broody. I haven't owned any but I hear they are a bit more friendlier than other varieties. Maybe one day I will try some.

I find bourbon red to be a bit more friendly, and those that are bronze or bronze based to be a bit more aggressive. That has been my experiences.

It's good yours are so gentle.

Love pet turkeys. My daughters love wild blackberry season for the same reason---hand feeding. Our midget whites were purchased to be mommas. We wanted a smallish bird that could raise their own babies. I can wait for them to start setting.

Back
Top Bottom