1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

odd visitor this morning

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by kit1470, Dec 9, 2009.

1. kit1470

kit1470 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2009
    I went let our dog out at 5:30 am and on my front step there was a gray dove, of course it flew away when I opened the door, but I noticed a whole lot of bird poo where he/she was sitting so I think it took refuge from the rain and snow last nite.

I always thought doves stayed in pairs and that they didn't hang around when it got cold.

[​IMG]

2. sparkles2307

sparkles2307 Terd of Hurtles

Grey dove---like a Mourning Dove? If it lost its mate recently it will hang around looking for it for a long time instead of migrating...at least that how they behave around here.

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I love seeing the doves. Something about them is just very peaceful to me.
    Perhaps your visitor has lost her mate? [​IMG]

4. kit1470

Apr 15, 2009
    oh I hope that's not why it hung around [​IMG]

5. kit1470

Apr 15, 2009
    Quote:yes I believe it was a Mourning Dove

6. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas

Iffin it was me, I would feed him/her to make it's loss easier. Perhaps a suet cake in the spot where it spent the night? Just a thought. [​IMG]

7. kit1470

Apr 15, 2009

Iffin it was me, I would feed him/her to make it's loss easier. Perhaps a suet cake in the spot where it spent the night? Just a thought. [​IMG]

ohhh I didn't even think about that - we have two feeders very close to the fronts steps - dd just made one a gs on monday with peanut butter and bird seed on a pine cone and the other is a gallon milk jug full of seed so maybe that's why it was hanging out there hmmmmm

8. Countrywife

Countrywife Corrupted by a Redneck

Aug 20, 2009
    Carolina
    We have a pair of what we call "love birds" that roost in our front porch in the rainy spring, and come back night after night. Sometimes, they just like the dry spot they found. I would feed it, and enjoy it. Dove's are special

9. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Iffin it was me, I would feed him/her to make it's loss easier. Perhaps a suet cake in the spot where it spent the night? Just a thought. [​IMG]

ohhh I didn't even think about that - we have two feeders very close to the fronts steps - dd just made one a gs on monday with peanut butter and bird seed on a pine cone and the other is a gallon milk jug full of seed so maybe that's why it was hanging out there hmmmmm

If I'm not mistaken, I'd have to go and check since there's lot of random facts floating around in my head, doves are ground feeders. They'll clean up seed spillage from raised feeders.

10. hollyclyff

hollyclyff Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2007
    NC
    We have a little Carolina wren that has taken up residence in our garage for the winter. He/she sleeps in there every night and demands loudly to be let out each morning if we are too slow about opening the garage door. Pretty smart little bird. It's completely protected from predators and it never gets below 50 degrees in the garage. DH named it Larry.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by