Odd White Feather

Cyber

Chirping
Feb 2, 2019
My favourite Silkie, Loongu (my profile picture), is a pure black Silkie.

And yet she has one white feather on the back of her head. She's currently around 5-6 years old, and that white feather appeared 6-12 months ago. It wasn't really a "problem" so I didn't report it online. But now that I have a forum account, I just thought I'd ask: Does anybody know why that one white feather might be there?

(Also, sorry if this isn't be best forum for a question like this, I couldn't see any one that seemed better for a general question about a weird development with a chicken like this)

There are two reasons I know of for white feathers appearing in a previously solid color non-white bird: age and injury.
I see this occasionally in my black Crevecoeurs, mostly in the crests as they get older. But even a young hen can have a feather injury due to a rooster holding on or pulling out a feather, and end up with a few white feathers. That's why the APA standard allows a few white feathers in the crest. If you are breeding the bird, it almost can't be prevented.

In my experience, the feathers you see at the end of the first mature molt will show you what the bird has, genetically. Any white or part-white feathers tend to be in the crest, wings and tail, and are based on the overlap of genetic info that affects the expression of sometimes-conflicting genes. There are some really interesting web sites on genetic colors, like kippenjungle (http://kippenjungle.nl/Overzicht.htm, remember to select the English language links unless you can read Dutch), that can help with understanding what might be going on genetically.

However, if a bird suddenly develops a white feather at 6 years old, I would have to say that's from an injury or from aging. Just like people can get gray hairs, chickens can get white feathers. It's really interesting to see in a color pattern like Mille Fleur--as the bird ages the white part of the pattern on each feather gets larger with each molt. The older birds are quite a bit lighter in color overall than younger adult birds.

Back
Top Bottom