Oddly Aggressive Rooster* *(Only when not being cuddled...)

Henhouse Harlot

Songster
Feb 25, 2022
Truth or Consequences, New Mexico
I've hand-raised my nearly 1-year old SLW roo from a tiny chick, and when I scoop him up? He's downright snuggly! I love this guy! Mostly. He's an excellent flock leader too! Takes fantastic care of his hens. ♥️
However, he will randomly get all "roostery" and decide to fly at my leg and peck me, HARD! Sneak attacks are his specialty.
Any ideas on reforming his behavior? I can always pen him up, but I'd rather give him a chance to behave. Thoughts?

P.S. I can pick him up without gloves, he's never offered to bite while being held. He's quite the character! 😊

If this is his first spring then it's possible he's just hormonal and you can give him a wide berth and wait for him to settle. I've tried "showing him who's boss" with a mean rooster before and he turned so aggressive I had to rehome him. Now I just give my roosters a big personal space bubble and do my best to ignore them. So far that's working for me and I haven't had any other aggressive behavior.

The sneak attacks are not good. In my opinion, when you are holding the bird and petting him, you are taking the lower place in the pecking order. He is sitting on your lap, which is rather like sitting on a hen. When you are standing up doing what ever, you are taking the dominant position, and he is objecting to that, and attacking you to bring you back in line.

I do not think you will successfully correct his behavior.

Mrs K

Next time he attacks you immediately grab him up and put him down on the ground where you can hold him down for as long as it takes for him to stop squirming.Press his head down flat on the ground and apply frim pressure on his back so he can't move.Make sure his belly is flat on the ground and he isn't standing up.Keep him there until he stops squirming or resisting. If you don't so this immediately when he attacks you it's a waste of time.If you can't "tame him" (stop him from attacking you) you will have to cull him.

In addition to pinning him, you should enforce a 1 meter personal bubble for yourself. Anytime he gets within a meter, shove him back with your boot. He should not be allowed to come up to you or initiate cuddles. It should be you initiating with him only. If he comes up for cuddles, keep pushing him back. Also, don't let him perch higher than your head at any time. This is a sign of dominance and aggression.

With my birds, I don't pin the boys (I actually only pin my turkeys and use shoulder 'pecks' for my hens) but grab them by the legs and hold them upside down till they give up and relax, then scoop them into my arms and give them a quick scratch before gently putting them back on their feet and letting them go. They only get let go if they're calm and this has worked well for me. They only need it to happen to them or see it done to another once or twice to figure out that I'm boss.

My cockerels are just coming to age and my main boy, also an slw, gets carried from the bachelor pen over to the ladies and back every day and I often sit in on both pens without any concerns of a roo attack. Have had no issues turning my back on any of my boys.

Just make sure you never run or pull away from an attack as this reinforces the behavior. Armor up if you have to and be consistent with what ever disciplinary action you use.

I've hand-raised my nearly 1-year old SLW roo from a tiny chick, and when I scoop him up? He's downright snuggly! I love this guy! Mostly. He's an excellent flock leader too! Takes fantastic care of his hens. ♥️
However, he will randomly get all "roostery" and decide to fly at my leg and peck me, HARD! Sneak attacks are his specialty.
Any ideas on reforming his behavior? I can always pen him up, but I'd rather give him a chance to behave. Thoughts?

P.S. I can pick him up without gloves, he's never offered to bite while being held. He's quite the character! 😊
he likes cuddles hes a mommys boy

The sneak attacks are not good. In my opinion, when you are holding the bird and petting him, you are taking the lower place in the pecking order. He is sitting on your lap, which is rather like sitting on a hen. When you are standing up doing what ever, you are taking the dominant position, and he is objecting to that, and attacking you to bring you back in line.

I do not think you will successfully correct his behavior.

Mrs K
It never ends well for those that bite the hand that feeds them. :(

If this is his first spring then it's possible he's just hormonal and you can give him a wide berth and wait for him to settle. I've tried "showing him who's boss" with a mean rooster before and he turned so aggressive I had to rehome him. Now I just give my roosters a big personal space bubble and do my best to ignore them. So far that's working for me and I haven't had any other aggressive behavior.
Thank you!! I certainly hope so. I'll try giving him more space. 👍

Back
Top Bottom