Ode to Old Hens... Pictures of the Seniors in Our Flock

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by speckledhen, Dec 2, 2012.

1. chickenneighbor

chickenneighbor Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2010
    Maine
    You've had some big losses this year. So sorry to hear of another. Nora was one of the prettiest chickens I think any of us have ever seen.

2. wekiva bird

wekiva bird Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2010
    South Carolina
    So sorry to hear about Nora.

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Thanks, Robin. This has been a tough year. Lost six hens so far this year, at least two I wasn't expecting to lose at all, both a year old, each of the latter for different reasons.

Quote: Thank you, I also thought she was a lovely girl. Though we've lost more than we even expected this year, I still have several who will turn 8 years old after the beginning of the year, if they all make it that far.

4. chickenflicker

chickenflicker Out Of The Brooder

Oct 14, 2008
    Her color was beautiful , and such a sweet face, may she RIP.

5. speckledhen

Thank you so much. And welcome to BYC. This forum family gets to know each other's chickens as well as each other. You'll enjoy it, I bet.

6. chickenflicker

chickenflicker Out Of The Brooder

Oct 14, 2008
    Thank you Speckledhen. I've actually been a member for awhile but didn't post very much, but sure have learned a lot. I can relate to having senior chickens, our youngest is 6years and oldest a little over 9years, and no matter what age they are it's never easy when you lose one.

7. speckledhen

God bless those old ladies! If my originals were still alive, they'd be about 9 years old now as well, but alas, poor hatchery girls are all gone, the last one only made it to 6 1/2 years old. The second wave, hatched a year later, will turn 8 in January and March.

So you're one of the lurkers who rarely posts, eh? Glad you did here. [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 12, 2014
  8. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Well I don't understand it, but Frenchy (6) has been laying pretty good for an old girl.

Buckwheat (4 1/2) too. I checked her egg and it was fertile so I stuck it under a broody hen.

Now one of Frenchy's eggs hatched a very tiny yellow chick. I had to help it out but there was no blood and it appears to be okay. Poor thing can't be more than 2". Toes are so tiny. I put it in the brooder as I don't think the hen that hatched it would even notice it.

I know it's late in the year to hatch but I can't be sure how much longer these girls will be with me.

I can't imagine what has started them up again.

jwyles likes this.
  9. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Well I don't understand it, but Frenchy (6) has been laying pretty good for an old girl.

Buckwheat (4 1/2) too. I checked her egg and it was fertile so I stuck it under a broody hen.

Now one of Frenchy's eggs hatched a very tiny yellow chick. I had to help it out but there was no blood and it appears to be okay. Poor thing can't be more than 2". Toes are so tiny. I put it in the brooder as I don't think the hen that hatched it would even notice it.

I know it's late in the year to hatch but I can't be sure how much longer these girls will be with me.

I can't imagine what has started them up again. I wonder if it's the 20% protein chick starter?

10. dsbailey70

dsbailey70 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2014
    Nederland, Texas
    I'm very sorry for your loss. I just started raising chickens a couple of months ago, and my very first three chicks, a black Silkie, BR, and EE mix, had to be euthanized Tuesday. The Silkie had been repeatedly sick from about a week after getting it. I tried treating it, and it occasionally cleared up too. I took them to the only vet in my area who handles chickens, and had blood drawn, to be sent for testing (for IB, MS, and MG); here it's much cheaper than a necropsy. Anyway, all three were positive for MG, and two also had MS. Even though I hunt, and will even cull nuisance or dangerous animals, I couldn't do it to my new pets. I paid the vet to euthanize them. I know they must've thought I was crazy, sitting in there crying over chickens...lol After he gave them the shot, I sat with them, holding the Silkie, and patting the EE and BR until the last one was gone. I know this is a part of having any pet, but I guess the first time with new ones can be the worst.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by