OE x EE

Weaver13

Hatching
Apr 2, 2020
I have a current flock of Olive eggers and Easter Eggers ( with Roos of both). I am wanting to incubate some eggs and was wondering if anyone knew how the crossing of breeds or sticking to those breeds would change egg colors/breed standards?
Also, Would an OE x OE= OE?
Or, EExEE=EE?

wondering if anyone knew how the crossing of breeds or sticking to those breeds would change egg colors/breed standards?
Hi there, welcome to BYC! :frow

There is NO breed standard of perfection for OE or EE because they are hybrids that generally will not breed true. They can be any combination and you can call it what you want! They may have different comb types, shank or skin colors, etc.

As an idea... that isn't quite reality and really depends on what you know about your genetics... here is a sample of what you're asking that should give you some good BASIC ideas...
1585852728708.png

1585852944715.png

1585853019845.png

Happy chickeneering! :wee

I've seen this chart before. The rooster is normally the dominate gene provider, right? I have chickens from EE's, rooster is jersey giant, and so far all I get are brown eggs. Because the rooster has the bigger part in egg color determination or because the EE's only provide one blue egg gene instead of two? I'm trying hard to understand all this too!

Well I'll shed some of my experience.
I had a light Brahma rooster over my easter eggers.
Those offspring now lay a greenish blue egg. Some are more of a gray green, and some are green, some are still a pastel blue. Maybe I can find a pic...

20200105_183512.jpg

A lot of the blue/green eggs are laid by my easter eggers, and some are from my half brahma x EEs, hence the greenish eggs.

Easter eggers and olive eggers have no breed standard and breeding them together can result in a lot of possible colours. Breeding them together or even back to a blue/brown layer is a lot more complicated than some images would lead you to believe

This chart is a lot more accurate and shows the outcome of egg colour varies a lot past the first cross
*edit because I put the image in twice lol

b2702881061576a31344e6b281c04d41.png

I have a chance to buy some Aracauna’s. I already have blue laced Wyandotte’s, Rhode Island blues, and cuckoo Marans. They’re all still chicks so I don’t know the sex of them yet. If I wanted to breed for Easter eggers....would it make more sense for me to buy an Aracauna rooster?

I have a chance to buy some Aracauna’s. I already have blue laced Wyandotte’s, Rhode Island blues, and cuckoo Marans. They’re all still chicks so I don’t know the sex of them yet. If I wanted to breed for Easter eggers....would it make more sense for me to buy an Aracauna rooster?
I think it's all about your preference. You will technically be creating easter eggers by using an Aracauna rooster over your hens... So it would, but its up to you. Have you researched the Aracauna breed a bit?

Hi there, welcome to BYC! :frow

There is NO breed standard of perfection for OE or EE because they are hybrids that generally will not breed true. They can be any combination and you can call it what you want! They may have different comb types, shank or skin colors, etc.

As an idea... that isn't quite reality and really depends on what you know about your genetics... here is a sample of what you're asking that should give you some good BASIC ideas...
View attachment 2072519

Happy chickeneering! :wee
Red eggs?

Red eggs?
I consider those charts more for fun as obviously some of the alleged outcomes aren't accurate. ;)

However.. Marans eggs are technically considered red...
http://www.themaransclub.co.uk/eggs-and-egg-colour-chart/4541995077

:pop
I have a little bit. I read about the lethal “tufted” gene...they need extra room for foraging...
It won't be lethal when bred to NON tufted birds. :)

Araucana are rumpless in the US... Wouldn't be what I want bred into my birds as I don't prefer the look... And I think Araucana are pointless without being tufted and rumpless... however in the UK, the standard does not require rumpless so many are rumped. It really a personal choice... Beware here in the US SOME hatcheries are selling their EE as Araucana... and may not meet any standard... including the blue egg gene. How reliable is the source???

Back
Top Bottom