OEBG, lets see your birds !

Puresilk

Songster
9 Years
Apr 23, 2010
Yale
I just got my first OEGB. I am really liking them,
smile.png
. I got a pair of chocolates and a chocolate sport pullet.
I am gonna be picking up a pair of young self blues later today, and I am planning on getting a pair/trio/quad
of porcelain sometime in the near future. But here are my two chocolates and my sport. What do yall think?

Casanova.JPG

Casanova. He is so sweet, I wasnt expecting them to be like this. He will follow me around wanting to be
held. He is a little under a year old. Waiting for him to get his tail feathers in.
Choc_Pair.JPG

Casanova and his lady, Godiva. She is a sweetie too.
Godiva.JPG

Godiva. She just came out of being broody, so she is a little rough looking.
sport.JPG

I havent named this little lady. Her mama was a chocolate, dont know what color her daddy was. Any ideas?

If she is a true Sport, ( they are Dun by the way, not true Chocolate ) but she look like she could just be a really light dun, but she may be a khaki (splash) sport, I havent seen enough pics of Dun and Khaki birds to really know, but if she is a dun, the her day could be Black, Dun, Or Khaki, and if she actually is a khaki sport like you say, the her dad would have been either Dun or Khaki too.

The Dun gene breeds just like the Andalusian Blue gene.

Here is a nice little OEGB thread that has already been started, you should post yours there. https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=276168

Last edited:
If they arent chocolate, is there any such a thing as a chocolate oegb? And how can you tell whether they are dun or chocolate? I got these off a breeder/shower in missouri and was told they were chocolates. The little hen I was told was a sport is out of a chocolate (or dun?) hen and unknown oegb roo. She is actually a very pale blue/gray color, not dusky like in the pic. She has very pale gold/yellow hackles that dont show up very well in the picture. I looked but couldnt find the old english thread.

Last edited:
The Dun gene is commonly incorrectly called Chocolate, the true chocolate gene is a very rear sexlink gene and as far as I know, is only found in Seramas here in the US and it will breed true once established. There are also chocolate Orpingtons and Wyandottes in the UK.

Dun on the other hand is more common and like Andalusian Blue, is an imcompletly dominant gene that would entirely breed true, but will also produce blacks and khaki (splash) sports when mated dun to dun.

If you look up pics of Chocolate Orpingtons, you will see that it is a solid even tone of an almost red chocolate color, in Duns like your OEGBs, the pyle areas are darker than the rest of the body. That is one indication at your birds are dun, not chocolate. Currently, the breeds that I know the dun gene to be found in are, OEGBs, Wyandottes, dAnvers, Phoenix, and maybe Polish ( I cant remember if Polish have true choc or if it is Dun too.)

Sandhill Preservation Center has what they call, Chocolate OEGBs and Chocolate Wyandottes, but both of those are dun as well.

So to answer your question, technically, no there is now such think as a Chocolate OEGB, its just that the Dun color looks so similar to chocolate, that Dun birds are often incorrectly called Chocolate, which is the case with you OEGBs.

And I just saw in the OEGB thread that you mentioned that he breed the gene from Fawn Silver Duckwings and that is a sure fire indication that they are Duns because Fawn is another name that dun is called by and is usually more associated with the Dun Gene in patterned birds, like the Fawn Silver Duckwings or Fawn Quail dAnvers.

Those solid Duns like yours could easily be make in a couple generations from crossing a Fawn( Dun ) Silver Duckwing on a solid black and breeding the Dun colored birds back to blacks.

Quote:
Hey Chris, do you think the hen in pic for could actually be a really light dun hen instead of a khaki ? Especially compared to the khaki hen that wing it posted ?

Hey RAREROO, You know I think t could be...
I would think that a Khaki would be close to the color of the last hen because I think Khaki and Dun Splash are the same genetically (could be wrong on that) . Just like Dun and Fawn are the same genetically.

I know I have see some Khakis that could pass as a Self Blue they were so light....

Chris

Last edited:
Quote:
that hen that I posted is very light almost white the roo is self blue she is much lighter him they are about 4 months old
39028_chicks_june_7_10_041.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom