OEG chick? Pullet?

Minniechickmama --

What type of comb does it have? Did you hatch it or get it from a hatchery? If you hatched it what breed do you have?
By the picture that you posted it looks like a Rose Comb or a very small Pea Comb and if it does it isnt a OEG, Golden Cuckoo Marans, or the other breeds listed.

Chris​

I got it from Sand Hill Preservation. They deal with heritage breeds. This is an extra. It is only maybe 4 days old. I am not as concerned with the sex right now, just seeing if anyone can help me come up with a breed. It was in with 7 other breeds and this one is the only one of its breed. It is an aggressive bird whichever it is. It pecks at everyone else, and snatched everything from the rest of them if they grab up a goodie. I think it is cute as a dickens, but I am not liking its attitude. It is also a smaller chick, not bantam, but it is a smaller frame chick than most of the others. The Longcrowers I got are comparable to their frame size. The feathers coming in on this one are the kind of dusty beigh with barring, like you see with an OEG pullet. That is why I was guessing that. I am actually thinking the whole personality fits a cocky little cockerel.
Sand Hill has a lot of breeds, so I am not sure what to guess. I know of several that it is NOT. They don't have the Golden Cuckoo Marans, but I have eggs for those on order to hatch next month
big_smile.png

Go to www.nonesuchfarm.com to see some nice GCMs.

Quote:
Sand Hill deals with Heritage Seed and "Rare" Breeds of poultry not all the breed they have are heritage breeds.
I can say that the bird in that picture that you posted isn't a OEG then because the only Large Fowl Old English Game that Sand Hill has is a "Muffed Old English Game" and you bird has no Muff (beard).
If you know the type of comb or a better picture of the comb that would help a lot..

Chris

Last edited:
It is a pea comb with definite 3 rows of ridges already visible. Here are some pictures I took of the wing feathers coming in (which are coming on fast), and the legs too. I hope that we can see these well enough, the flash kind of washes out some of the coloring.
40608_p3110010.jpg

40608_p3110008.jpg

40608_p3110007.jpg

40608_p3110006.jpg

40608_p3110005.jpg

40608_p3110004.jpg

40608_p3110003.jpg

Any more guesses?

Minniechickmama --
I would give it a little more time to get it's feathering in but at this time and it having a Pea comb and being a filler/ extra I would say it could be one of there "Ameraucana/ EE" the ones described in the first listing for Ameraucana I believe they were $3.00 and they said that they were a mixture of types and colors and that these are not exhibition stock.

Chris

I am closing in on the same possibility. I don't see any other breed that fits this chick. I have gone through all the breeds they have that should have a pea comb, and none match. It is so much easier if they just have the muff, or they have the greenish legs, but this one has neither. The little booger. I will have to be patient. With all the chicks I am going to have around this spring, I doubt I will have time to dwell for very long. I did get one Black Ameraucana, which is supposed to be a true line they have and show quality. I am very excited about that.
Time will tell, and I am sure I will deal with it appropriately. I am not going to get too hung up on the genders or anything, but I do have 5 Norwegian Jaerhon that they sent as freebies. They are auto-sexed, but I am not 100% sure on how it is done, although I have a good idea and I have 3 boys and 2 girls from that little bunch. I got some really interesting breeds from them, even if out of 32, they only sent 6 that I actually ordered.
I will be posting as this one grows so we can keep guessing or come up with a clear winner.
Thanks for the input.

Aha, how about a Cubalaya or Kraienkoppe? I think it is very possible. I would think that more than an EE. Will post 1 week old pics tomorrow.

If it's a cubalaya, by 6 weeks of age it should have white legs.

Also, when it grows it's tailfeathers in, they should always be pointing down.

Post a photo in a couple of weeks and I should be able to tell for sure.

They aren't usually aggressive chicks, but I've never raised any from Sandhill.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom