# of chickens for this space?

Heckel's Hens

Songster
9 Years
Jan 23, 2011
Southern VA
We are done building the coop and run, and I thought it was the perfect size for 15-20 chickens. But my neighbor said it was really crowded. Thoughts?

The coop is 8x8 and 6ft tall, with everything off the ground for extra floor space. The run is a 16x16 square, with the coop taking up 1/4 of that space.

By my calculations, the run is 3 -8x8 squares, so ~192 sq. ft. And the coop is 64 sq. ft.

I think 20 MAX is okay...
hmm.png

Thanks. I really don't want to squish them, and I'm okay with having a set number and not more.

I have a bunch of chicks right now, so whichever ones I keep will bring me to 15-20. I think I'll shoot for 17.

Quote:
My husband as gracious enough to go from 5 to 15, so in the name of our good marriage, I can live with 17 so he won't build more.

("cause next year I want goats....
lol.png
)

HAHA - I could totally see myself going the goat route if I had a bigger property.

I think the specs you have are correct for about 16 chickens. Do they get to be out of the pen at all to run around?

Right now my girls have more than the specified number of sq ft in their pen but as soon as I get home to let them out they are begging for it. If you plan to only let them stay in the coop and pen, I would get less chickens.

My chickens are SO spoiled LOL. 4 LF hens in an 8x8 coop and each morning at 6:30am they are YELLING to get out lol!! I was told I could fit 15 or 16 I think with the free ranging. My girls are not aware of this fact hehe

I think 20 MAX is okay...

I think it depends on what your priorities are, both for the chickens and for yourself.

From a work/sanitation/aggravation standpoint, 20 chickens in an 8x8 coop are *definitely* considerably worse than, say, half that number.

Also they will behave considerably differently, though people have different opinions on how much they prioritize chicken happiness.

Just recognize that by leaping in with a somewhat-crowded coop you are quite possibly not going to get the easiest or nicest introduction to chickenkeeping.

(OTOH, it *is* easier and less stressful/problematic for the chickens to REDUCE a larger flock than to ADD TO a smaller one, if you decide you want to adjust numbers.... as long as any downward adjustment in numbers occurs *before* any problems become serious or ingrained)

Good luck, have fun,

Pat, who would put about five chickens in that space, personally
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom