Of course! It would only happen to me!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Whitehouse Quail, May 17, 2010.

1. Whitehouse Quail

Whitehouse Quail Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    Michigan
    So I was all excited; today was when all antibiotics caught up with the quail, so no more random deaths by squishing or disease. Yaay! Then, one flies out of the cage. I make to grab it, and guess where it runs? RIGHT INTO THE HOLE OVER THE LITTLE POOL OF WATER WITH THE PUMP IN IT. It falls in, I hear sqeaking and splashing, but by the time I can get the lid off, it was dead. (I am holding quail in the basement... that's why.)

CAN YOU BELIEVE MY LUCK? [​IMG]

2. Sushi

Sushi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2010
    Michigan
    I am so sorry. I have been having the worst luck with my babies lately too. First off, my rooster got out of his pen and knocked the plugs to the incubator out of the wall. I got him back into his cage, but I didn't notice the plugs til the next day. Then the fan in the incubator kept falling off and landing on the eggs and breaking them. My eggs were kinda old because they spent a long time in the mail, so a lot of them quit on me along the way. At the end out of 14 bantams 4 LF and 30 button quail eggs, I had 1 bantam chick hatch, and 6 quail babies, but the bantam and 2 of the quail babies died shortly after hatching. Then yesterday my dog ate one of the quail babies. So I just have 3 quail babies out of that big shipment of eggs. I had a second shipment of eggs in there and out of 14 eggs I got 4 babies. I ordered more eggs, and put them in the bator, and had to re-adjust the temp. I fell asleep before checking it again, and the temp was 117. I killed a fresh dozen of eggs, plus my own eggs that were in there, including one that had already pipped. I now have another dozen eggs in there, but the dozen I killed had the eggs I really wanted for myself out of the hatch including my blue cochins that I have been drooling over for ages. I also have another shipment of eggs on the way, but by now I feel like I am foolish for even trying.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by