Of Feathers And Flames- A Wings of Fire AU RP

Kapok stared at Shrike for a long moment, his face darkening with doubt, but he nodded slowly before resting his chin on the ground again and staring past the Cloudwing at the wall behind him. He suddenly felt like all his energy had completely drained and he let out another long, drawn-out sigh.

@Blue Raptor
@Crestcrazy2
“Who was it? Friends?” Shrike asked, sitting up. His brow furrowed thoughtfully, “they should be alright.. I mean, if the humans were after the trees, they wouldn’t bother ta hurt the LeafWings, right?”

Heyyyy I’m gonna be at a barbecue and possibly some other places tmrw, after that I’m gonna try to be back on the rp 😁 thought I’d give y’all a heads up!!
Man, getting back into the swing of things after not doing it for so long is TOUGH 😂😂

Heyyyy I’m gonna be at a barbecue and possibly some other places tmrw, after that I’m gonna try to be back on the rp 😁 thought I’d give y’all a heads up!!
Man, getting back into the swing of things after not doing it for so long is TOUGH 😂😂
My town is having a jamboree tomorrow and I have a part in the parade for the library, so I won't be here most of the day.

“At what point in time did you see his memory begin to return?”
I sighed, and leaned back in the chair, exhausted with this repetitive question. “It happened suddenly and without warning. Something triggered him.”
The officer wasn’t impressed.
“Honestly,” I tried again, “it could have happened at that very moment. He had no previous recollection.”
“You’re lying.” He fixed me with an expression of criticism.
Yes, that bit was a lie, the day the SolarWing had shied back from Cersei and the vials was the day I realized his mind was not a vast pit of nothing. I wondered how long he had played the fool. He was smart. Oh, he was so smart.
“Why are you lying, August?” The officer leaned against the small table, adjusting his position in his seat. “So, what is it you are trying to protect?”
I shook my head, pursuing unbreaking eye contact with the man. “Nothing,” I said, “have I to lie about. I want… I want to help you, I swear it, but I… I don’t know.”
The officer glanced down at the small monitor reading every dip of my emotions. He did not accuse me of lying again, but his expression was far from pleased.
Truth be told, I would have done anything to make the Scorpion Den Patrol believe I was their ally. Truth be told, I was scared out of all rational thought, too blinded by an impending doom for my mind to properly function.
“Very well, then.” The man said. He rose and left the room.

Led by the arms through maze-like corridors, we descended deeper into The Maze. I lost all track of time and position, falling into the steady rhythm of fear induced thoughts. We dropped ten floors at once in an elevator, then exited, moving onto the next and falling deeper until I was quite certain we were walking the roof of Hell.
Many hours later I was left to wait yet again in another empty room. This was not a cell, exactly, but a vacant space with a door and with a lock- it would suffice. In a stupor I leaned against the wall, sensing a bitter edge creeping into my demeanor. How was I to survive this? I knew of the horrors of the unbridled Scorpion Den, and I had ‘crossed my T’s’ and ‘dotted my I’s’ to avoid them. But, alas. I was all done in vain. Taking in the SolarWing had been the right thing, yes, I knew this in my heart, but at that moment I wished nothing more than to replay that bit of my life and rid myself of the red beast completely. This was fear speaking, and I knew this, too, yet I did not silence her. She was my company, and I was her host. I willingly entertained her.

“August Tobias.” The man spoke. It was a drawling tone, one lacking entirely of enthusiasm. He had dark hair, fine rimmed spectacles, daring brown eyes.
We were in a lab room. The doctor and two officers watched me shiver.
“Do you know why you are here?”
I forced my gaze back upon the doctor in order to give a tired shake of my head. “No. Sir.” I figured I would add the ‘Sir’ at the last possible moment, so the word came out stuttering as I rushed to add it. Or maybe that was due to my entire body shaking, I could not tell. I could guess why I was here, and every option sent my heart shuddering. Maybe now I could better relate to the SolarWing's mindset of fear, a mindset of intense dread and anticipation.
“I have your friend here, August.” The doctor continued, and I felt myself straighten. “The… the SolarWing.” He spoke the word with an air of distaste, his eyes alight with an intrigued glow.
My lips pressed tight together, I could sense a protective anger begin to fester.
“I am deeply confused as to why this dragon is yet alive, and why he seems to have all memory of his past life.” The doctor gave me an inquisitive look, then turned back towards the second door, twisting the handle with a sharp push.
It was a test room, and I faltered badly as the officers guided me through the door. I resisted for but a moment, the man on my left twisted his fingers into my arm, his grip tightening with disheartening ease.
I froze when I saw the SolarWing, the breath catching in my throat. Never had I seen sales so pale, never had I seen open eyes so unseeing. The dragon sat low to the white floor, his wings outstretched before him, propping his upper body off the ground.
The horror of the situation must have shown on my face, because the doctor gave a scoffing chuckle, shaking his head. He watched me with an unyielding ferocity, his grin condescending, his hands pushed deep into suit pockets as if nonchalant. “August, why don’t we see if he recognizes you, eh?” The man cleared his throat, waving a hand in my direction. “Let him go, let him go.”
The officers loosened their grip and stepped away.
I didn’t move, my eyes locked on the dragon- on Sol. He had a name. His head bobbed lightly from left to right, ‘scanning’, which meant either his eyesight was going, or he was too drugged up to do much else. He was not restrained in any way, albeit a large collar adorned his neck, and it had been used recently, I could see the bruises forming. His eyes would move, as if he could see, but then roll back and come forward again. Scales so incredibly pale, it made me sick to look at.
“Go on, August.” The doctor coaxed, a hint of mocking compassion in his tone.
I stepped forward.
Sitting hunched over, bearing weight down on his wings, our gazes met at an even level. I cocked my head as his eyes stared into mine. He blinked and lowered his head, completely dropping my gaze.
The doctor swore. “He recognizes you.”
I felt partial relief at this, the other half of my mind brimming with worries on the SolarWing’s behalf. What would this mean for him? What would they do to him? Oh, why did he react? I extended my hand towards the dragon, and he did not shy back from my touch. The doctor approached, and the SolarWing reeled back.
“Unbelievable,” the doctor whispered. He turned towards the officers. “Redeem yourself, August. You have five minutes. Show me what you can make him do.”
I spun on my heel as they made their exit from the small test room, lifting my hands to my face in slight confusion and exasperation, tempted to ask questions, but the lab door clicked shut, leaving me alone with the SolarWing. There was a big one-way-window on the wall to the right of the door. I stared at my mirrored reflection.
“Why are you letting them catch on?” I asked in Dragon, keeping my voice low. “You seal our fate.”
The SolarWing coughed, and I heard him fall. His voice was raspy. “Not yours.”
It was relieving to hear his voice, and a hope seemed to bloom in my chest. It was good to know he was really here. I moved to his side and took a knee.
“What did they do to you,” I whispered with fierce accusation and anger.
The dragon shook his head, coughing and coughing. He didn’t meet my gaze. His breathing quieted. “We must get you out of here.”
Even in this condition he showed genuine care for me, a steadfast loyalty. I aspired to adopt his resolve.
“And what happens to you?” I whispered.
The dragon gave a heavy, long sigh. “I will die. You were right. A-August. Escape is impossible.”
I glanced up at the gray window, fully aware of the spectators watching from the other side, shielded from my view. Was he saying this for them? I was terrified he meant it.
“Who are you?” I asked quietly as the dragon lowered his head against the flat ground. He sucked in a sharp breath and did not reply. I reached out to stroke the top of his broad head. “Who am I?”
“You are… August.”
“How do you know me?”
He winced a little, his eyes darting across the room as he searched for an answer. It was hard to tell what was real and what was an act. Maybe it was all an act. Or maybe it was all real.
The SolarWing inhaled, his breath shaking. “I don’t know.”

I spent another full day trapped in a cell. My mind could only dwell on him, and what they had done to him. What they were doing to him.
I was tired, and so I slept, but sleep is a hard thing on a plagued mind. He lived on in my dreams.
Sometime that following day I was removed from the cell and taken back into The Maze. I was obedient to every instruction, obliging in every possible way, and the officers soon dropped their hold on my arms, allowing me to walk on ahead of them. Some might find it empowering to be treated like a danger. Maybe they took pride in it. I did not. I couldn’t understand their caution around me, acting as if I could become hostile at any given moment. It made me want to prove that I was not a threat.
We arrived at a lot of enormous size, even larger than the Truck Yard. Occupied cages lined walls, filled with a wide array of dragons. Dozens of people rushed about, a few dragons walked freely. A green pickup truck rumbled by, stacked high with sealed boxes. Shouts echoed to our left as a trio of burly men wrestled a massive SnowWing from its cage, the creature roaring in protest. People hurried past us and through the open lot door, everyone a slave to rushed agendas.
It was truly an incredible operation, and I was startled by the sheer enormity of it all. A series of forgotten minutes passes under the blink of an eye as I struggled to take it all in. My awe induced distraction was brought to a sudden halt as a tall man approached me. He was young, and I guessed a few years off my own age, blonde hair falling in luscious ringlets to his shoulders, blue eyes deep in color and alluring. I looked away and didn’t speak, warily anticipating what would happen next.
“August.” The man said.
I sighed and looked up.
“Tobias.” The man continued.
“Guilty.” I muttered with a glum air, looking past the man.
He laughed, and it was a kind sound. “Hardly.” He grinned, and offered a well-callused hand. I took it. “Call me Fox. Good to meet you, pal.” He gave my hand a firm shake, then released. My eyes met his. “You know where you are, Tobias?”
I nodded, holding the man’s gaze with a careless confidence. “This is a gladiator ring.”
He winked, cocking his head slightly. “Right, kiddo.” He gave the officers each an appreciative glance, and they turned to leave. “Come on, then.” He told me. “Let’s get you cleaned up.”
I gave a rueful sigh and followed.

@-Shade-
@-Kiwi-

Let me know if this dragged by at all. I know we were bouncing all over the place, but a few necessary scenes needed to take place so that we could end up where we are now. Thanks for any feedback, pals.

I sighed, and leaned back in the chair, exhausted with this repetitive question. “It happened suddenly and without warning. Something triggered him.”
“Honestly,” I tried again, “it could have happened at that very moment. He had no previous recollection.”
Yes, that bit was a lie, the day the SolarWing had shied back from Cersei and the vials was the day I realized his mind was not a vast pit of nothing. I wondered how long he had played the fool. He was smart. Oh, he was so smart.
“Why are you lying, August?” The officer leaned against the small table, adjusting his position in his seat. “So, what is it you are trying to protect?”
I shook my head, pursuing unbreaking eye contact with the man. “Nothing,” I said, “have I to lie about. I want… I want to help you, I swear it, but I… I don’t know.”
The officer glanced down at the small monitor reading every dip of my emotions. He did not accuse me of lying again, but his expression was far from pleased.
Truth be told, I would have done anything to make the Scorpion Den Patrol believe I was their ally. Truth be told, I was scared out of all rational thought, too blinded by an impending doom for my mind to properly function.

Led by the arms through maze-like corridors, we descended deeper into The Maze. I lost all track of time and position, falling into the steady rhythm of fear induced thoughts. We dropped ten floors at once in an elevator, then exited, moving onto the next and falling deeper until I was quite certain we were walking the roof of Hell.
Many hours later I was left to wait yet again in another empty room. This was not a cell, exactly, but a vacant space with a door and with a lock- it would suffice. In a stupor I leaned against the wall, sensing a bitter edge creeping into my demeanor. How was I to survive this? I knew of the horrors of the unbridled Scorpion Den, and I had ‘crossed my T’s’ and ‘dotted my I’s’ to avoid them. But, alas. I was all done in vain. Taking in the SolarWing had been the right thing, yes, I knew this in my heart, but at that moment I wished nothing more than to replay that bit of my life and rid myself of the red beast completely. This was fear speaking, and I knew this, too, yet I did not silence her. She was my company, and I was her host. I willingly entertained her.

“August Tobias.” The man spoke. It was a drawling tone, one lacking entirely of enthusiasm. He had dark hair, fine rimmed spectacles, daring brown eyes.
I forced my gaze back upon the doctor in order to give a tired shake of my head. “No. Sir.” I figured I would add the ‘Sir’ at the last possible moment, so the word came out stuttering as I rushed to add it. Or maybe that was due to my entire body shaking, I could not tell. I could guess why I was here, and every option sent my heart shuddering. Maybe now I could better relate to the SolarWing's mindset of fear, a mindset of intense dread and anticipation.
“I have your friend here, August.” The doctor continued, and I felt myself straighten. “The… the SolarWing.” He spoke the word with an air of distaste, his eyes alight with an intrigued glow.
My lips pressed tight together, I could sense a protective anger begin to fester.
“I am deeply confused as to why this dragon is yet alive, and why he seems to have all memory of his past life.” The doctor gave me an inquisitive look, then turned back towards the second door, twisting the handle with a sharp push.
It was a test room, and I faltered badly as the officers guided me through the door. I resisted for but a moment, the man on my left twisted his fingers into my arm, his grip tightening with disheartening ease.
I froze when I saw the SolarWing, the breath catching in my throat. Never had I seen sales so pale, never had I seen open eyes so unseeing. The dragon sat low to the white floor, his wings outstretched before him, propping his upper body off the ground.
The horror of the situation must have shown on my face, because the doctor gave a scoffing chuckle, shaking his head. He watched me with an unyielding ferocity, his grin condescending, his hands pushed deep into suit pockets as if nonchalant. “August, why don’t we see if he recognizes you, eh?” The man cleared his throat, waving a hand in my direction. “Let him go, let him go.”
I didn’t move, my eyes locked on the dragon- on Sol. He had a name. His head bobbed lightly from left to right, ‘scanning’, which meant either his eyesight was going, or he was too drugged up to do much else. He was not restrained in any way, albeit a large collar adorned his neck, and it had been used recently, I could see the bruises forming. His eyes would move, as if he could see, but then roll back and come forward again. Scales so incredibly pale, it made me sick to look at.
I stepped forward.
Sitting hunched over, bearing weight down on his wings, our gazes met at an even level. I cocked my head as his eyes stared into mine. He blinked and lowered his head, completely dropping my gaze.
I felt partial relief at this, the other half of my mind brimming with worries on the SolarWing’s behalf. What would this mean for him? What would they do to him? Oh, why did he react? I extended my hand towards the dragon, and he did not shy back from my touch. The doctor approached, and the SolarWing reeled back.
“Unbelievable,” the doctor whispered. He turned towards the officers. “Redeem yourself, August. You have five minutes. Show me what you can make him do.”
I spun on my heel as they made their exit from the small test room, lifting my hands to my face in slight confusion and exasperation, tempted to ask questions, but the lab door clicked shut, leaving me alone with the SolarWing. There was a big one-way-window on the wall to the right of the door. I stared at my mirrored reflection.
“Why are you letting them catch on?” I asked in Dragon, keeping my voice low. “You seal our fate.”
It was relieving to hear his voice, and a hope seemed to bloom in my chest. It was good to know he was really here. I moved to his side and took a knee.
The dragon shook his head, coughing and coughing. He didn’t meet my gaze. His breathing quieted. “We must get you out of here.”
Even in this condition he showed genuine care for me, a steadfast loyalty. I aspired to adopt his resolve.
The dragon gave a heavy, long sigh. “I will die. You were right. A-August. Escape is impossible.”
I glanced up at the gray window, fully aware of the spectators watching from the other side, shielded from my view. Was he saying this for them? I was terrified he meant it.
“Who are you?” I asked quietly as the dragon lowered his head against the flat ground. He sucked in a sharp breath and did not reply. I reached out to stroke the top of his broad head. “Who am I?”
“You are… August.”
“How do you know me?”
He winced a little, his eyes darting across the room as he searched for an answer. It was hard to tell what was real and what was an act. Maybe it was all an act. Or maybe it was all real.

I spent another full day trapped in a cell. My mind could only dwell on him, and what they had done to him. What they were doing to him.
I was tired, and so I slept, but sleep is a hard thing on a plagued mind. He lived on in my dreams.
Sometime that following day I was removed from the cell and taken back into The Maze. I was obedient to every instruction, obliging in every possible way, and the officers soon dropped their hold on my arms, allowing me to walk on ahead of them. Some might find it empowering to be treated like a danger. Maybe they took pride in it. I did not. I couldn’t understand their caution around me, acting as if I could become hostile at any given moment. It made me want to prove that I was not a threat.
We arrived at a lot of enormous size, even larger than the Truck Yard. Occupied cages lined walls, filled with a wide array of dragons. Dozens of people rushed about, a few dragons walked freely. A green pickup truck rumbled by, stacked high with sealed boxes. Shouts echoed to our left as a trio of burly men wrestled a massive SnowWing from its cage, the creature roaring in protest. People hurried past us and through the open lot door, everyone a slave to rushed agendas.
It was truly an incredible operation, and I was startled by the sheer enormity of it all. A series of forgotten minutes passes under the blink of an eye as I struggled to take it all in. My awe induced distraction was brought to a sudden halt as a tall man approached me. He was young, and I guessed a few years off my own age, blonde hair falling in luscious ringlets to his shoulders, blue eyes deep in color and alluring. I looked away and didn’t speak, warily anticipating what would happen next.
“August.” The man said.
I sighed and looked up.
He laughed, and it was a kind sound. “Hardly.” He grinned, and offered a well-callused hand. I took it. “Call me Fox. Good to meet you, pal.” He gave my hand a firm shake, then released. My eyes met his. “You know where you are, Tobias?”
I nodded, holding the man’s gaze with a careless confidence. “This is a gladiator ring.”
He winked, cocking his head slightly. “Right, kiddo.” He gave the officers each an appreciative glance, and they turned to leave. “Come on, then.” He told me. “Let’s get you cleaned up.”

@-Shade-
@-Kiwi-

Let me know if this dragged by at all. I know we were bouncing all over the place, but a few necessary scenes needed to take place so that we could end up where we are now. Thanks for any feedback, pals.
ATAGSHDGDGDF I LOVE IT

I stepped forward.
“You are… August.”
“How do you know me?”

“August.” The man said.
I sighed and looked up.

@-Shade-
@-Kiwi-

Dang, I’m sorry I’ve missed not commenting until now BRM, but I love it. ❤️
Perhaps you could post it on Ao3 (if you haven’t already 😶‍🌫️) cause this is so well written!

Dang, I’m sorry I’ve missed not commenting until now BRM, but I love it. ❤️
Perhaps you could post it on Ao3 (if you haven’t already 😶‍🌫️) cause this is so well written!
I'm thinking of actually getting it printed for fun :) I realize I'm months out, but I already have a couple cover artists in mind 😏
I haven't put it on Ao3... but maybe someday when it's finished being edited.

Kapok stared at Shrike for a long moment, his face darkening with doubt, but he nodded slowly before resting his chin on the ground again and staring past the Cloudwing at the wall behind him. He suddenly felt like all his energy had completely drained and he let out another long, drawn-out sigh.

@Blue Raptor
@Crestcrazy2

“Who was it? Friends?” Shrike asked, sitting up. His brow furrowed thoughtfully, “they should be alright.. I mean, if the humans were after the trees, they wouldn’t bother ta hurt the LeafWings, right?”
Dred nodded. “Right. They wanted the timber. I heard the leafwings tried to fight but eventually fled to the islands surrounding the sea kingdom.”

Back
Top Bottom