Of Nest Boxes, Broken Eggs, and Dirtbag Hens

Dr.T

Chirping
Nov 30, 2017
Arcola, IL
So I have problems with hens who go into the nest boxes and kick all of the shavings out (I have the plastic entirely enclosed ones that hang on screws on the wall). I have tried the liner sheets with the straw-like stuff on them, they just shove the whole thing out. Then it's left on bare plastic that they end up breaking eggs in with kicking them around.

Anyone have some suggestions/solutions? Is there some sort of material that works better than others for this? Are the plastic nest boxes just no good?

I'm having the same problem with my younger hens that have plastic nesting box. My hens with a wooden nesting box does not do that. They also have a small board that stops the hen from being able to kick the shavings out. A hen will kick around shavings around their nesting box to form their nest. With the small board across the front of the nesting box helps keep the shavings in. My hens like the wooden nests a whole lot better than plastic. The liner sheets I would say is a bad idea. Hen like to build their nest the way that is the cumfiest to them. Hay may work but I do not suggest it. Try a rabbit nesting box. That works for my broody hens.

So I have problems with hens who go into the nest boxes and kick all of the shavings out (I have the plastic entirely enclosed ones that hang on screws on the wall). I have tried the liner sheets with the straw-like stuff on them, they just shove the whole thing out. Then it's left on bare plastic that they end up breaking eggs in with kicking them around.

Anyone have some suggestions/solutions? Is there some sort of material that works better than others for this? Are the plastic nest boxes just no good?
gosh well i would say that yes thats right they are trying to brake the eggs ..! i have had that same problem lately..? i know its this one hen searching for an egg in every box that she can brake , but i usually keep golf balls in all the nests to confuse any hen trying to brake the eggs, but another person on BYC said she put curtains on each nest box,knowing that chickens dont eat in the dark , and i realized that yes that person was really right on..!!! about that, so maybe try the curtains..?? but funny thing about the golf balls and the eggs, i was picking up eggs kinda late yesterday & in the favorite nest box i found about 10 eggs all piled up in a pyramid type shape with the golf balls on top...lol.. now how did they do that.:idunno:lol:..HA..?:lau:lau:lol::lol::gig:lol::lol::p:gig:lol::idunno:idunno:confused::confused:

Can you line the nest boxes with cardboard? How deep are you putting the bedding? I use fairly coarse hay, and stuff the box pretty full, so that when the hen goes into the box, she has to hollow out a nest to settle down in. The thicker you can put the hay, the better! Young pullets are especially exuberant in their nest fluffing behaviors, and often do scratch all the bedding out. I don't think it's a malicious act at all. Consider this: we are providing a habitat for them which meets our needs. A hen's natural nest would be on the ground somewhere, and the grass/hay would for the most part still be attached to the roots! Sure, she might add other bits and pieces to it, but, it's not in a box with a slippery floor!

Shiloh is one of my hens who likes to be the first to lay in the morning. If any hen has layer before she did she will eat the egg of the other hen then lay her egg. Lots of oyster shells has helped her to stop that a little. Careful if you do use hay. Hay brings mites and sometimes a hen will eat the hay and then can't digest it. Other than that, hay might work unless your hens are determined to keep an empty nesting box.

gosh well i would say that yes thats right they are trying to brake the eggs ..! i have had that same problem lately..? i know its this one hen searching for an egg in every box that she can brake , but i usually keep golf balls in all the nests to confuse any hen trying to brake the eggs, but another person on BYC said she put curtains on each nest box,knowing that chickens dont eat in the dark , and i realized that yes that person was really right on..!!! about that, so maybe try the curtains..?? but funny thing about the golf balls and the eggs, i was picking up eggs kinda late yesterday & in the favorite nest box i found about 10 eggs all piled up in a pyramid type shape with the golf balls on top...lol.. now how did they do that.:idunno:lol:..HA..?:lau:lau:lol::lol::gig:lol::lol::p:gig:lol::idunno:idunno:confused::confused:

They are just too funny! I don't think i have any intentional egg breakers. I think what is happening more often is that they all fight over the same box. I will have two in a box with another one trying to get in. They scuffle and screech at each other and eggs get cracked against each other in the process.

Can you line the nest boxes with cardboard? How deep are you putting the bedding? I use fairly coarse hay, and stuff the box pretty full, so that when the hen goes into the box, she has to hollow out a nest to settle down in. The thicker you can put the hay, the better! Young pullets are especially exuberant in their nest fluffing behaviors, and often do scratch all the bedding out. I don't think it's a malicious act at all. Consider this: we are providing a habitat for them which meets our needs. A hen's natural nest would be on the ground somewhere, and the grass/hay would for the most part still be attached to the roots! Sure, she might add other bits and pieces to it, but, it's not in a box with a slippery floor!

Yes, I know it's just nest fluffing, and they just get carried away with the fluffing and end up with nothing to fluff! I think I might get some of that rubberized spray paint and coat the floor of the box and see what that does! Thanks for the idea on the slick floor being the problem, brilliant!

Shiloh is one of my hens who likes to be the first to lay in the morning. If any hen has layer before she did she will eat the egg of the other hen then lay her egg. Lots of oyster shells has helped her to stop that a little. Careful if you do use hay. Hay brings mites and sometimes a hen will eat the hay and then can't digest it. Other than that, hay might work unless your hens are determined to keep an empty nesting box.

I have used only shavings up to this point! Good to know on the mites! Thank you.

:welcome

It might be the plastic and only shavings being used. They won't hold shape in the plastic, so they keep trying and scratch it out. Spraying the rubber coating inside might help but I would add straw or hay to the shavings as well. That will help hold the shape they want. I use wood nest boxes with straw and shavings.

Back
Top Bottom