Of Nest Boxes, Broken Eggs, and Dirtbag Hens

They are just too funny! I don't think i have any intentional egg breakers. I think what is happening more often is that they all fight over the same box. I will have two in a box with another one trying to get in. They scuffle and screech at each other and eggs get cracked against each other in the process.
o yeah the favorite nest box fights,o golly yes i know that one only to well....lol. i have 7o laying hens and man when they all want in one box....lol.. its a nut house out there...:gig:lau HA:lol: :gig & i have to go out to break it up....lol. :lol::lau:p:gig....lol.. :lol::lol::lau:lau:jumpy:jumpy:jumpy:jumpy:lol::D

We use softer grass hay, it’s more comfortable for the girls that lay(only 2 out of 6 currently) but our main problem is the freeloaders kicking the bottom level fake eggs out of the boxes

I use a flake of straw, shove it down in tight and then 'bowl' it out a bit.
Are these new layers?
They are very messy at first, tearing up the nests, should stop doing so much rearranging after laying for awhile.

How many birds for how many nests?

new hens.. Or a roll out box with no bedding material to kick out. Mine lay on a carpet square, its very dense not fluffy at all they all lay in the same community box, about 40" wide no dividers sometime 2-3 will be in there at once. I think its more important that they have a dark safe spot to lay in than a fluffy nest. This is my first year and no nesting material works here:)

Gary

Back
Top Bottom