Off Balance Chick, Falling Backwards, Please Help!

auburn

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jun 19, 2012
West Michigan
Got my assorted brown egg layers from Meyer Hatchery this morning. They were all hatched and shipped out on Monday. One little dark brown chick is acting very unsteady, laying on her side/back and constantly falling over. Her eyes roll back sometimes. None of the other chicks are acting this way. All four were vaccinated for Mareks before being shipped and none have been exposed to our other chickens. Any thoughts? Please, any advice would be appreciated!!!

I'm thinking that perhaps the chick was born like that or is affected by the shipment. I have a duckling that hatched a couple days ago and can't walk, i'm not sure if it's a disability or a injured leg. Sorry if I wasn't much help, I hope the chick gets better.

Shipping is stressful on new chicks. Do you have them on medicated feed and vitamin/electrolyte water? Pick up your little one, is it responsive? If not, it is very possible it just might not make it....if it is, yaay! Dip her little beak in the water (not too deep, watch nostrils) and see if shes wanting to tip her head back to drink. I'm crossing my fingers for you that she's just exhausted.

Good luck!!!

She is responsive, and is drinking. We've given her some Pedialyte and Chicken Nutri-Drench, and she ate some of her Chick Starter, though she hasn't eaten any of it in two hours now and is refusing it now. Poop looks normal. She's mostly been napping against my chest for the past couple hours. Isn't really "waking up," just keeps falling back asleep. My mom thinks she has Star Gazing. Not sure if she'll make it at this point, but thank you all for the responses. We're hoping the best for her. :)

Back
Top Bottom