Off balance chick-help!

Janj76

Songster
May 19, 2017
Alabama
I have 15 6 week old chicks. They came from McMurray and only one died at 3 days old. The others are growing and doing great....until tonight. I noticed a silver Wyandotte laying in the Dust bath pan. I gave them their daily boiled egg and she didn't get up to eat. I got her out of the brooder and tried to stand her up but she can't stand. They were all vaccinated before I got them. I have them in the garage and it is rather warm during the day. I offered this chick some water with electrolytes and sugar but she isn't interested. I have her inside in a dog crate. I'm waiting on my Amish coop to be delivered so they can go outside because I don't want them to get too hot inside. I rubbed some VetRx under her wings. What is wrong and what can I do? I thought they had gotten old enough to not get sick and die. Any help you can share??

How do her poops look? How hot is it in the garage? At 6 weeks they are ready to go outside if they have feathers. They should be in 65-70 degree temps by this time, but if it is summertime heat where you are, it could be in the 80's or more now. At 6 weeks coccidiosis can be a problem, but may need to be deciding if it is cocci or overheating/dehydration. Cocci symptoms include lethargy/sleepiness, runny poops with mucus or blood, standing around hunched or puffed up, and refusing to eat. Corid or amprollium, available at feed stores, is rhe best treatment. If you beliieve it is overheating, you can cool her legs off in tepid water, and get her to drink some water with electrolytes as much as possible.

How do her poops look? How hot is it in the garage? At 6 weeks they are ready to go outside if they have feathers. They should be in 65-70 degree temps by this time, but if it is summertime heat where you are, it could be in the 80's or more now. At 6 weeks coccidiosis can be a problem, but may need to be deciding if it is cocci or overheating/dehydration. Cocci symptoms include lethargy/sleepiness, runny poops with mucus or blood, standing around hunched or puffed up, and refusing to eat. Corid or amprollium, available at feed stores, is rhe best treatment. If you beliieve it is overheating, you can cool her legs off in tepid water, and get her to drink some water with electrolytes as much as possible.
I have her inside and I have tried to offer water but she won't drink it. He feet do clench my hand when I hold them. She pooped on me awhile ago and no blood at all. Could she have injured a wing or leg? I put food and water in with her and have her inside. I'm just waiting on my coop to be delivered to put them outside.
Also I have been adding electrolytes to their water since day one. And I'm adding ACV to their water. The others all look normal. I'm hoping it is an injury to her leg or wing and rest will heal it.

What do you mean by hot? Temperature? They can get heat exhaustion.
88 degrees right now. It has been very hot and humid here the last week. I'm in Alabama. I left the garage door up some today to keep air moving. I'm so scared a snake or raccoon or something will get in the garage if I leave it open.

I took a pic of her. She still chirps and is alert she just can't stand. It's like she doesn't want to use her left leg or wing to balance herself. I hold them a good bit and sometimes they jump out of my hands. Could she just be hurt?

Attachments

• IMG_0537.JPG
    IMG_0537.JPG
    564.3 KB · Views: 5
You might want to bring them inside for cooler temps or make more ventilation. Large dog crates can be fairly safe , though raccoons can reach through 1 inch wide openings. Corid won't hurt them if you decide to get some and start it in their water. Dosage is 2 tsp of the liquid, or 1 1/2 tsp of the powder per gallon of water for 7 days. Hopefully, it is just a little warm for them, but make sure they are all drinking cool water. Move her close to food and water.

You might want to bring them inside for cooler temps or make more ventilation. Large dog crates can be fairly safe , though raccoons can reach through 1 inch wide openings. Corid won't hurt them if you decide to get some and start it in their water. Dosage is 2 tsp of the liquid, or 1 1/2 tsp of the powder per gallon of water for 7 days. Hopefully, it is just a little warm for them, but make sure they are all drinking cool water. Move her close to food and water.
I made a large brooder but it is getting a little small for them since they are getting so big! I will put a fan in the garage to circulate some air. I give them fresh water twice a day.

The chick still can't get up this morning and took water from a syringe reluctantly. She won't eat either. I am getting some Polyvisol today and give her. The others are still fine this morning.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom