Off label chicken medications?

CoopsNPoops

Songster
Apr 5, 2021
Ellsinore, MO
I am unfamiliar with what can be used. Specifically for deworming, dacterial and mold illnesses, etc. Anything and everything really. I am dealing with a health emergency with my flock and did NOT need to be running around like a chicken with my head cut off trying to educate myself last minute.. But here i am unfortunately... Hit me with off lables and dosages!!

How is your flock doing?

Edit: never mind, I just saw your updates on the other thread! Glad they seem to be doing better.

Very few medications are actually approved for chickens because of egg or meat withdrawals. FARAD publishes a list of approved medications every few years. For worms I would use Valbazen (albendazole) or SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer (fenbendazole) which are safe, but not approved. In some countries piperazine, levamisole, or others may be used. But none of those are approved unless given in small dosage over 5-7 days. It is best to ask specific questions about what disease or worm you are treating.

For bacterial diseases, it depends what you are treating. For bacterial respiratory diseases such as mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG,) Tylosin powder for pigeons which you can find online is approved and there is no egg withdrawal. Coryza is better treated with sulfonamides, such as sulfadimethoxine or bactrim, which are not approved for chickens. Viruses will require no antibiotics.

For reproductive infections, amoxicillin (Fish Mox) can help treat those. Some use the banned enrofloxacin/Baytril, since it is effective against more bacteria.

For mold in the respiratory tract, the only treatment is to remove the mold. Some mold fungi in the digestive tract will respond to Medistatin powder, Nystatin, or Monistat cream given orally. For eating moldy feed an emergency flush of Epsom salts or molasses may be given orally, but check for dosages.

Very few medications are actually approved for chickens because of egg or meat withdrawals. FARAD publishes a list of approved medications every few years. For worms I would use Valbazen (albendazole) or SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer (fenbendazole) which are safe, but not approved. In some countries piperazine, levamisole, or others may be used. But none of those are approved unless given in small dosage over 5-7 days. It is best to ask specific questions about what disease or worm you are treating.

For bacterial diseases, it depends what you are treating. For bacterial respiratory diseases such as mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG,) Tylosin powder for pigeons which you can find online is approved and there is no egg withdrawal. Coryza is better treated with sulfonamides, such as sulfadimethoxine or bactrim, which are not approved for chickens. Viruses will require no antibiotics.

For reproductive infections, amoxicillin (Fish Mox) can help treat those. Some use the banned enrofloxacin/Baytril, since it is effective against more bacteria.

For mold in the respiratory tract, the only treatment is to remove the mold. Some mold fungi in the digestive tract will respond to Medistatin powder, Nystatin, or Monistat cream given orally. For eating moldy feed an emergency flush of Epsom salts or molasses may be given orally, but check for dosages.
Thank you. This would've helped when i posted this. I was running to google and different farm stores confused and helpless. I grabbed some things that were briefly mentioned in other threads. Since i didnt know what it was specifically, and it could've been a number of things, i kinda just treated for anything. I wanted to add antibiotics, but that was the one thing i couldn't get a clear answer on. I did treat her with safeguard goat wormer, so how long will i need to dump her eggs? Not that shes back to laying right now, but..

How many SafeGuard treatments did you give—2 treatments 10 days apart or 5 days straight? There is a 14 day withdrawal starting from the last treatment.

That would be a total of 19 days if you dosed for 5 days. You might want to start reading the Emergency Forum every day. We have all learned a lot over the years from people posting about their sick birds. There are always new or updated ways of treating illnesses posted. If you look up illnesses on the “search forums” at the top of the page, look for more recent information. This forum goes back until 2007, and unfortunately, there is a lot of outdated info. If you do not get answers on your threads, be sure to comment on the same thread, since you will get answers once we all get a chance to see them.

Back
Top Bottom