off topic board

earthnut

Songster
12 Years
Sep 18, 2007
Seattle, Cascadia
It would be nice if this forum had an "off topic" board, where we can talk about non-chicken topics. I can understand some recent posts getting locked because they are off topic, however, I think it would be better if they could just be moved rather than locked. After all, it's a community of people here, and we all have interests other than chickens, and many people just like to chat. Every other forum I've been to has an off-topic board, I think we should too. It might lessen some of the onus on the moderators, too.
wink.png

If you're afraid it wouldn't be appropriate, consider that off-topic posts will and do happen anyway. A board would give them a place to be and keep the on-topic boards clean. It doesn't detract or distract from the on-topic boards in my experience.

ETA: to clarify, I would expect it to be moderated for child-friendliness like the rest of the site.

Last edited:
Think about that one for a minute. An off-topic board on a family/kid friendly chicken forum? Is this off-topic board an "anything goes" board including adult topics (purposely leaving out examples but use your imagination), political/religious debates, beliefs on abortion, gay rights, etc. I think you get the picture. There are forums for those types of topics - I, for one, in my most humble opinion, believe it is not here and yes, I know, I don't have to click on that forum if I don't want to read the topics - but how are you going to keep children out - will it require a security code and proof of age? I, for one, in my most humble opinion, am glad they lock threads and delete posts that aren't appropriate for a chicken forum or for children to see. We have all seen how most off topic and even a lot of on-topic posts get really out of hand.

Please, everyone, let's stop trying to turn this into an anything goes forum. There are other forums for that. Remember, we are guests in someone's home here - we don't pay for membership nor are we owners in this business - we are guests. Guests must maintain a different set of manners and abide by the rules of the home owner.

Should children never be exposed to political religious abortion issues or gay rights? Maybe not the details of abortion but everything else would seem acceptable to me. I mean a lot of people refer to aspects of the Christian religion quite often on this forum. Some people think Christianity is taboo, just as others might consider politics homosexuality and abortion taboo. (yes, I am aware that others have expressed their other religions or lack there of with out being locked or flamed about it.)

You can't expect to open an internet forum to a world wide audience and expect everyone to have the same views on things and to not occasionally express these opinions. A lot of people only like to come HERE, they are comfortable here and have made friends here. They might not want to go find another forum to discuss these other things. I think all of these things that Ruth has listed should absolutely be allowed in a proper board on this forum. Moderated for vulgar and improper posts that children should not see. But allowed, as all of these things are a part of real life.

I like the idea of an off topic board. Every other forum I have been on has one. And they are moderated just fine. I don't think that an off topic board means that anything goes, or that every topic posted would be inappropriate.

Remember, we are guests in someone's home here - we don't pay for membership nor are we owners in this business - we are guests. Guests must maintain a different set of manners and abide by the rules of the home owner.

You are right, but even after a year of a guest being in your house everyday and allowed in whenever you want, that guest will become more and more comfortable. They might feel like they could be themselves. That guest might start feeling like they can talk about things and not have their friends or house mates strap tape over their mouths or kick them out.

Now I have not been here as long as some and I have not contributed as much as some so no one may give a hoot what I got to say, but I can say it anyway.​

Ruth, a place for non-chickens topics should be for everything from TV shows to yes, sensitive topics. But it does not mean anything goes. I would absolutely expect it to be as child-friendly as the rest of the site. No forum that I have been to has allowed adult topics, flaming, swearing, trolling, etc, no matter how open its subject matter is. That is what moderation is for, and an off-topic board would be moderated like all the others for these kinds of things. I just think that this is a hangout place for many as well as a chicken board, and a place to hangout is needed.

The suggestion for an Off Topic forum has been brought up before and the answer was "no". It is still "no".

This is a poultry board. If you want to discuss off topic subjects, go to one of the boards that has an area for it, then come back here to talk poultry !

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=19408

I
really don't want to offend anyone, but isn't this thread "off topic" and G rated???
I think this thread is great, infact I'm pretty new here and sometimes I don't log on because it's pretty sad on here sometimes. I've learned much about chickens, but with some problems I've had and reading dreary posts there was a time when I thought I made a wrong choice in getting involved with chickens. I think I've made some friends here and I really liked the idea that I could share my thoughts with someone who asked and truely wanted to know. But also (maybe I'm missing the point) this "off topic" thread was made in Me, My chickens and My family. That's kind of an invitation to be "off topic" in a G rated way anyhow.

Ok, now I'll sit back and flinch at the possible negative reactions.

Back
Top Bottom