Off with his head???

Summer_Dawn

In the Brooder
Sep 12, 2017
So, our current situation: we picked up 10 chicks in May (straight run) and ended up for 4 roosters. We had 2 who were being aggressive with the ladies (keeping them up in a tree all day, not letting them eat, etc.) so those 2 met their demise over the weekend... We had high hopes for our australorp rooster we have left - he calls the girls for treats, does a great job of protecting them from predators - and the ladies are much, much happier with him. Unfortunately, he has started going after my 10 year old daughter. She told us that he was chasing her, but we kind of thought she was embellishing and that he was probably only coming over to her to see if she had treats for them. Today, I saw it firsthand. I was out with her and she literally climbed up my back to get away from him and he was still coming at me to get to her! He has only ever gone after her - he has never (until I was holding her) gone after me, my husband, or our 6 year old son. I kicked him probably 3 times, but he would stop trying to get her until I could reach a broom. It was probably super funny to see, but my daughter is terrified and I don't know what to do.

He's good for the girls, but we can't have him going after our daughter. We don't have a run and can't really build one where we're living, so they kind of have free range of the yard (over an acre cleared) but they stay pretty close to the house, I'm guessing mostly for protection.

So, he's only 4.5 months old. Is he only going to get worse as he gets older? What could it be about her that he is threatened by? Does anyone have a free-range, rooster-free flock that does ok? I'm pretty set on getting rid of our other rooster already. He's just too neurotic to be helpful for just about anyone, so the australorp is our only hope at this point!

Unless you plan to hatch eggs in the spring there is no reason to keep any rooster. A lead hen will warn of predators just as a rooster will.
Personal experience with a child and roosters is that the rooster can reach their face. No need to EVER risk the child's safety.
He goes after her pretty doggedly from your description.

I say "Off with his head!".

Yes, he will most likely get worse as he ages. Doesn't really matter tho now, you can never trust him. They tend to go after the weakest first. Usually that's a child, or a woman. We have had rooster free flocks that free ranged without any problems. They actually became friendlier after the roo was sent to freezer camp. I second it- Off with his Head!

Thanks...you both confirmed my thoughts. We aren't planning on hatching chicks so we don't need him for breeding purposes, mostly just keeping him for protection since we're out in the country. But if the lead hen will take over, I think I'm ok with axing him. We're chicken newbies and I am so happy to have found this board. Thanks for the help!

You are welcome.

My little Cochin spent several years as head hen. She alerts to hawks and cats and loose dogs very well. As she aged she lost rank and is in a different coop but still alerts.

Be confident in your hens ability to see danger. They are very good at it.

I've never had any of my roosters get aggressive with my daughter or I but I have had roosters who were fine when young and then became aggressive toward the hens when he got older. He had to go Which leads me to believe it will get worse in your situation. Other than breeding roosters are nothing but eye candy. (Love roosters, so beautiful). I also live in the country and a rooster isn't any better protection for the hens than a predator proof coop

Thanks...you both confirmed my thoughts. We aren't planning on hatching chicks so we don't need him for breeding purposes, mostly just keeping him for protection since we're out in the country. But if the lead hen will take over, I think I'm ok with axing him. We're chicken newbies and I am so happy to have found this board. Thanks for the help!
I'm out in the country. 20 miles from town in the country. Due to other predator attacks this summer, I was down to 3 hens, a full grown rooster and a cockerel (rooster under 1 year old). At least, that's what I had when I left for work this morning. When I came home, DH told me that he found a dead hen in the driveway. Head completely eaten off, neck picked clean and some back meat eaten. (I'm guessing hawk). Read that again - TWO males, and I still ended up with a dead HEN. Some roosters may alert or protect, but it's not a guarantee that your flock will be safe. I'd give him the axe.

Back
Top Bottom