Off with his head???

Thanks everyone. My daughter was really upset at the thought of getting rid of him as if it was her fault. But after I told her that the he could seriously injure our 15 lb terrier mix (especially once he gets his spurs), she was pretty ok with it!
Awwwww what a sweetheart, so selfless!!! Gosh, wish all kids were like that!

I've had a few predator issues and in two of them Roos were involved. Neither time did they help. The first one, there is a guy who falconry hunts ine the cattle field next to my property. His falcon made a U-turn and flew a couple of hundred yards and attacked one of my hens. He left a puncture wound, but it healed fine and I still have her. My Buff Opr roo stuffed his favorite girlfriend in a corner and shielded her with his body. Adorable, but it did nothing to help the other hen who was getting attacked. Granted, him and the one he tried to protect were inseparable, but still... The 2nd time, I hear a commotion and something had snatched my little roo and taken off with him. THE ROO. Yes, that saved my hens, but I can find point of lay hens for sale by the barrel. A finding a good roo takes effort. I love having them around and probably always will, but I view them as more for my personal enjoyment than for their perceived protection abilities. These were 2 different roos. The one who got snatched was a standard X bantam mix and about the size of my easter egger hens. The scrape marks on the ground make me think a hawk got him. We had a TON or red tailed hawks this spring.

My daughter was really upset at the thought of getting rid of him as if it was her fault.
It wasn't her fault, but male chickens should be treated differently than females from the time you know it's a male(about 6 wks). IMO It's about the humans demeanor more than the bird...humans have to be calm, confident, and in charge. Our fear/anxiety can make them nervous, and that can trigger the fight part of 'flight or fight'. Harder for some folks to learn, especially young kids. Maybe in the future.

Kudos @Summer_Dawn for taking care of the problem and helping her deal with it.
First year is the hardest, so much to learn.

Young cockrels are stupid they all are just in different ways, you just have to find one that has a lesser degree of it. One that chases , flogs or bites will most likely never be a keeper where a tidbitter or a toe pecker will probably straighten up and be a decent one as long as you don't encourage the behavior.

Back
Top Bottom