Offended Members When Corrected

I joined BYC to learn and to help others. Because I am new to chickens, I don't post on threads unless I have solid personal experience to draw upon, which is very rarely the case. My daughter, on the other hand, is more adventurous and has more confidence than I do. Not too long ago, she posted a factual error and was tactfully corrected by another, more experienced member. Instead of getting her panties in a wad, she was genuinely grateful, not the least bit offended, and politely thanked the other member. It did this mother's heart good.

I joined BYC to learn and to help others. Because I am new to chickens, I don't post on threads unless I have solid personal experience to draw upon, which is very rarely the case. My daughter, on the other hand, is more adventurous and has more confidence than I do. Not too long ago, she posted a factual error and was tactfully corrected by another, more experienced member. Instead of getting her panties in a wad, she was genuinely grateful, not the least bit offended, and politely thanked the other member. It did this mother's heart good.

You and your daughter are the kind of members that all of us should aspire to be. :eek:)

Well, I've sure posted incorrect info from time to time
roll.png
. Sometimes it's a typo, or a sloppy error from not reading the OP thoroughly, things like that. Folks catch it and correct me and I sure try to convey a sense of humor when I respond, cause it was a stupid mistake and I'm glad they caught it. I really don't want to be mis-informing folks here.

Other times, I've simply been wrong. Shocker, I know
ep.gif
. Someone more educated comes along and corrects me. We have some very educated poultry folks on this site! They may not always be the most hand-holding, oh-honey-I-know-you-thought-you-were-right-but-here's-how-we-do-it folks. They're usually more blunt and simply conveying information. A few times it may have stung a bit, but after I thought it over I always appreciated the education and tried to post that. I'd far rather be correct than be RIGHT.

I'm so grateful for all the time folks put into this site, helping and educating others. I've kept chickens for a long time and learned most of my management through trial and error and had it pretty well figured out when I came here. However, I knew nothing about genetics, sex linkage, etc until I joined byc. I'm glad there were educated folks who taught me right
smile.png

Michael, you are an inspiration to us and have been from the very start...literally! You greeted us both when we joined BYC and posted under "New Member Introductions." Thank you for your countless unpaid hours of service to chicken keepers worldwide. It doesn't go unnoticed.

I think too many people can't handle any way of doing something or any information but what they already think. There are certain facts to certain topics and there multiple options to certain things that work better for different peoples situations. We are all here to learn and enjoy our birds, even the most experienced chicken owners can learn something new sometimes. Some people just get stuck in their own thoughts and ways and not much anyone can do about it, but learning how to deal with other people and their opinions (and not forcing your own on some one else) is part of being an adult. And too bad a lot of people don't get sarcasm :) I love this site and ready everyone's opinions and methods and am not offended by constructive criticism as most people shouldn't, but you have to know how to do it without hurting anyone's feelings (not always easy). But back to the point is we should all be able to learn here and just plain enjoy each other and our birds. Hope I make sense lol I tend to ramble and pepeat myself sometimes, I'm not proof reading this

I know what you are saying, and agree that even when we feel the need to correct someone, we should show due respect to that person. That's why I said in my post that some people lack tact. And I can also understand that people learn something incorrectly. I've learned loads of things incorrectly over the years, and have been corrected on some things by BYC members (and not always tactfully). But even then I purpose not to respond in a nasty way and I hope that I will always seek to know the truth than to try and salvage my pride. My pride won't do other members who ask questions any good, but the truth certainly will. :eek:)
I've been doing some thinking...I want to go a step further and extend this same grace to my family. I am sometimes guilty of showing the least tact and respect to the very ones I love the most. This concept should apply FAR beyond the borders of the BYC community.

Michael, you are an inspiration to us and have been from the very start...literally! You greeted us both when we joined BYC and posted under "New Member Introductions." Thank you for your countless unpaid hours of service to chicken keepers worldwide. It doesn't go unnoticed.

Thanks. You and many other members of BYC have been an inspiration to me as well.

I've been doing some thinking...I want to go a step further and extend this same grace to my family. I am sometimes guilty of showing the least tact and respect to the very ones I love the most. This concept should apply FAR beyond the borders of the BYC community.

Very true. :eek:)

To err is to be human, we should all be accepting of that and be able to admit when we are wrong... unfortunately, to be prideful is also a human trait and some have more than their fair share...

I have seen a lot of that and most times it is repeatedly the same posters... luckily BYC has greeters like you, Michael, who keeps many from being scared off due to lack of tact... I thank you for being so active as you are one of the people I saw the most of before I joined BYC...

I try to be honest and tactful in my postings, but sometimes it can get frustrating and words just don't come out right... but when someone just wants to be right all the time no matter what, I have to just walk away... it does get old dealing with those situations, but there is so much great info here and so many good people willing to help that that overcomes those little irritations... hopefully new members will keep seeing all the good and be able to keep the spirit of the forum going as it should...

After all, just like any large, extended family not everyone will always get along all the time... but with long time dedicated members, the family will always be a family...

Edited cuz I cain't speel, lol...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom