Offering hope

jveef1212

Chirping
7 Years
Feb 11, 2012
The last of our three pet chickens became suddenly I'll last week with a nasty respiratory infection. She couldn't stand, couldn't breathe, mucus dripping from her beak...all within the span of a few hours. I searched the forum for remedies, but was saddened to find most recommendations were to put her down.
Betty was part of the family and I couldn't let her go without a fight.
I started dosing her with TetraVet, electrolytes and a mixture of honey, cinnamon, molasses, apple cider vinegar and turmeric. With a syringe, I sucked the mucus out of her mouth. After three days, her breathing had improved. The following day she started eating again and the day after that she appears to be almost back to normal, except that she is still having difficulty walking, but that too is improving.
She's a gorgeous 6 1/2 year old buff orpington who has been a joy in our lives.
I just wanted to share and offer hope to others who may be facing a similar delima with their pet.

Attachments

• IMG_20180206_175332860.jpg
    IMG_20180206_175332860.jpg
    518 KB · Views: 8
Amazing! I admire your dedication to your birds,as you said way to often it is recommended to euthanize which in most cases I strongly disagree with as I'd rather help my animal stay alive and get better then to just decide on my terms they've lived their lives . Glad you shared your story I'm sure it will help a few birds keep living then being let go of. Hope she has 100% recovery!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom