Ended Official 2020 BYC Halloween Hatch-Along

Pics
Thus speaks the master enabler. Such is your power that you convinced me to get Cornish cross chickens without even talking to me! Oh, and also now I’m checking Welp hatchery on the daily looking for a good sale for the next batch.
E738AF76-1B0D-4AED-8703-1E9F91B45A26.gif

So my eggs arrived but USPS did not follow the sender's instructions: hold at post office for pickup. Who knows if this is the reason, but 5 eggs came broken. Luckily there are still 14 (the sender sent me TONS of freebies!).

I carefully wiped off the egg off the other eggs, but did not rinse or anything. Is wiping the yolk off going to do damage to the remaining eggs? Help!

View attachment 2374394
View attachment 2374395
Yes I’ve washed eggs and had really successful hatch rates. Better to clean them off.

Well? Is it Halloween yet? Can we check the eggs now? One of them might be early. Oh, come on — it’s been two whole days already! Can’t it get here faster?!?

Oooohhh, this is fun, channeling my inner 6-year-old. :D
I’m checking mine tonight. I can’t shake the thought I’ve got a cracked egg in there.

Omg. I did absolutely have a crack. Two. 😳

First this one that was developing. 🤦🏻‍♂️ It was virtually crushed on the side so I didn’t try and fix it.
D90C6BDA-6B2F-4AF6-9DFF-508D6C9C0F3F.jpeg

and.... this one. :eek: (Same egg, 2 pics)

DEDA2725-1CC4-465E-A124-6525F9DB643B.jpeg

118296AF-73FD-4B6E-A314-5771E2F288B1.jpeg

wellllll.

I’m not a huge fan of the Brinsea trays for quail. Clearly they take a little getting used to. I’m terrified to touch them now.

SO... set 54. Cracked 3, total. Down to 51. Can definitely see development I’ll candle in a few days and see how many. I need to find the snap on candle adjuster thingy for these tiny eggs. 🤞🏻

Omg. I did absolutely have a crack. Two. 😳

First this one that was developing. 🤦🏻‍♂️ It was virtually crushed on the side so I didn’t try and fix it.
View attachment 2375872

and.... this one. :eek: (Same egg, 2 pics)

View attachment 2375880
View attachment 2375883

wellllll.

I’m not a huge fan of the Brinsea trays for quail. Clearly they take a little getting used to. I’m terrified to touch them now.

SO... set 54. Cracked 3, total. Down to 51. Can definitely see development I’ll candle in a few days and see how many. I need to find the snap on candle adjuster thingy for these tiny eggs. 🤞🏻

Oh no! Are you using quail rails?

Oh no! Are you using quail rails?
Yes inside the goose trays. Live and learn.

They trays are so long and those inserts are kind of bendable and I think putting a larger egg in cracked these eggs. And then trying to get the eggs out you can push on that insert so easily. If I continued to hatch quail I would glue that insert in so it didn’t do this. I’m sure I’ll learn how to work with it in the future but a bummer when it’s my fault I’ve cracked three!

Back
Top Bottom