Offical 2020 BYC Halloween Hatch-Along

Xouie

Songster
Jun 11, 2020
SF Bay Area
I have a question for hatchers who candle. What kind of candler do you use?
I use a flashlight with 600+ lumens and the lens removed so the egg fits down in the bezel. Since most of my eggs are dark, I don't candle often and therefor a candler wasn't ever a priority but I may invest in one.
I use a modified flashlight also — not sure of the lumens. Not strong enough for very dark eggs, but that’s rarely an issue for me.

CluckNDoodle

Hatchaholic
Project Manager
Premium Feather Member
Jan 12, 2019
Georgia
I use a flashlight with 600+ lumens and the lens removed so the egg fits down in the bezel. Since most of my eggs are dark, I don't candle often and therefor a candler wasn't ever a priority but I may invest in one.
I actually prefer my small sized high lumen flashlights over the candlers I've tried. At some point I did a comparison of some flashlights from Amazon since my old faithful was no longer available and many people have asked me what I use to candle. I don't alter anything on the flashlights, as a matter of fact I don't usually touch the flashlight to the egg but rather hold my hand around it to block light and hold the flashlight below, if that makes sense. The small size was a must to better hold the egg and flashlight in one hand while taking pictures...because I take a lot of pictures, lol. Candling images are of the same 2 eggs, a medium/dark Marans egg and a blue/green egg.
Prices may have changed by now, I did this earlier in the year. Sofirn is still my favorite and WUBEN is a close second though it's slightly larger in my hand. All have rechargeable batteries.

High Lumen Flashlight Comparison (1).jpg
High Lumen Flashlight Comparison (2).jpg

Awakening Forest

FreeBird
Premium Feather Member
Aug 14, 2020
North Central Florida
I use a Brinsea High Intensity candler with Ova Scope like this one. Brinsea
Not sure the lumens. I like that I can have both hands free and rotate the egg with ease. It does a decent job of candling my very dark Silverudd's Blue eggs. I can't see much but I can see veining above the air cell which is about all I would be able to do with any candler I think.

BantyChooks

Pullarius
Project Manager
Premium Feather Member
Aug 1, 2015
Brinsea Ovascope, if I remember correctly. I like it; it's portable, decently bright, and works for even small eggs like quail, which I hatch frequently.

Top Bottom