Ended Official 2022 BYC Other Fowl Molt Contest

Entry 1

This year he literally has just patches of plain down with no feathers because of the molt. 🤣

FAEFBBD1-6FCA-4153-9F75-C92931115E9E.jpeg

Wanted to share a picture of one of my muscovy drakes. He's molted everything but his ratty wing feathers. It's quite the contrast in color.

View attachment 3263253
Oh, I love that! I have the start of that on one of my blue chickens. Why does the blue color do that? Get this chocolate hue?

Oh, I love that! I have the start of that on one of my blue chickens. Why does the blue color do that? Get this chocolate hue?
My guess is it's the base color of the blue. My understanding is there's just two colors, black and red. Every other color comes from mutations of these two. Just guessing though. I'm hoping someone more experienced with genetics will let us both know. Sure love the fresh feathers. :)

My guess is it's the base color of the blue. My understanding is there's just two colors, black and red. Every other color comes from mutations of these two. Just guessing though. I'm hoping someone more experienced with genetics will let us both know. Sure love the fresh feathers. :)
Ok. I had no clue that there was really only two colors. I do know the blue comes from the black, and you can't have a blue without a black first. I didn't know about only two colors though.
Since I've looked into the Silver Lab (a dog breed and color, so maybe it's different), I've questioned the blue color. On the Silver Lab, it's a mutation from the chocolate (and must be registered as chocolate). Maybe the fawn color (see Fawn Duckwing Old English Game bantam) is something similar? And comes from the blue, which comes from the black?

Ok. I had no clue that there was really only two colors. I do know the blue comes from the black, and you can't have a blue without a black first. I didn't know about only two colors though.
Since I've looked into the Silver Lab (a dog breed and color, so maybe it's different), I've questioned the blue color. On the Silver Lab, it's a mutation from the chocolate (and must be registered as chocolate). Maybe the fawn color (see Fawn Duckwing Old English Game bantam) is something similar? And comes from the blue, which comes from the black?
Now my head is spinning. One day I hope to read up on genetics, and mutations more, but so far I only know snippets. So probably enough to be wrong most of the time. :)

Back
Top Bottom