Ended Official BYC 2021 Summer Fair—Favorite Fair Memories

My mother and I do not have the best relationship right now, so looking back on this favorite fair memory is a bit bittersweet for me. Growing up, I remember every October watching my mother in the kitchen baking for the state fair, and the smells of all the desserts and bakes being made was one of my favorite things about that season. The time finally came for me to be old enough to bake entries for the fair on my own, and that year my mother and I both entered a variety of things like cakes, cookies, and other sweets. When it came time for us to go to the fair and see how everything did before we got on all the fun rides, I saw my mother’s face drop as we walked to the case where the goods were on display. Suddenly, she was half yelling and half crying, and as I came over, I saw that we had both won the most prestigious awards for our respective classes. Both of us had won a silver platter (“Best of Fair”) and blue ribbons, with a cash prize, and my mother had received a tricolor ribbon as well for her entry. That was my favorite fair memory, my mother and I both winning the most sought-after prizes for our cakes the same year. (I am sad to say I cannot enter a photo of the platter, it was lost in a fire, but the memory remains!)

What an exciting and memorable day for both of you ❤️

I haven't been to a fair since I have lived in Arkansas (I'm originally from Texas but my husband and I moved to North East Arkansas 2 years ago), but I have very fond memories of going to fairs. In fact at one point in my life I practically lived at a fair for a few months.
Growing up I always heard my father talking about when he was younger how he showed hogs at the county fair. It was always a dream of mine when I got a little older to follow in his footsteps. When I finally decided to join FFA and 4H, we got my first show goat, Hank. He was a nice looking Boer goat and I trained every day and practiced in the fair arena with him.
Finally, it was show day. I took Hank in the arena and showed him the best I could do. While I didn't make first place, I was so happy to be there and it was so exciting seeing everyone's goats, sheep, cows, chicken, rabbits, etc. I was overwhelmed with the excitement and decided one day I was going to have a farm with all of those animals and more. Plus, you can't beat snowcones and funnel cakes!!! This memory has stuck with me forever and I am so thankful to have followed my dad's footsteps and showed at the same fair he did when he was a boy.
Now I live on "Fairground Road" where the kids show their animals and the have the little rides and yummy deep fried food, but sadly we haven't gotten to enjoy it since covid shut down the whole thing. Hopefully next year the kids will get to show and nothing will be shut down and we can go to the fair again!

I haven't been to a fair since I have lived in Arkansas (I'm originally from Texas but my husband and I moved to North East Arkansas 2 years ago), but I have very fond memories of going to fairs. In fact at one point in my life I practically lived at a fair for a few months.
Growing up I always heard my father talking about when he was younger how he showed hogs at the county fair. It was always a dream of mine when I got a little older to follow in his footsteps. When I finally decided to join FFA and 4H, we got my first show goat, Hank. He was a nice looking Boer goat and I trained every day and practiced in the fair arena with him.
Finally, it was show day. I took Hank in the arena and showed him the best I could do. While I didn't make first place, I was so happy to be there and it was so exciting seeing everyone's goats, sheep, cows, chicken, rabbits, etc. I was overwhelmed with the excitement and decided one day I was going to have a farm with all of those animals and more. Plus, you can't beat snowcones and funnel cakes!!! This memory has stuck with me forever and I am so thankful to have followed my dad's footsteps and showed at the same fair he did when he was a boy.
Now I live on "Fairground Road" where the kids show their animals and the have the little rides and yummy deep fried food, but sadly we haven't gotten to enjoy it since covid shut down the whole thing. Hopefully next year the kids will get to show and nothing will be shut down and we can go to the fair again!

That's wonderful you were able to follow in your father's steps showing an animal at the very same fair as him!

Fairs for generations!

Generation 1- In the late 60’s till 1986: My sisters were in 4-H before I was born and took animals to the fair every summer. We always had lambs up until my 7th grade year when I talked my parents into changing to swine. I went from clean and dumb, to muddy and intelligent.

The year was 1981, and I raised two Duroc’s. Both pigs made it to the Championship round and Tess (the larger of the two) was crowned. Then judge walked over to my 2nd pig to award the reserve. The judge was told to pick another for I couldn’t win both! A year to remember….

I continued with swine till 1986.

We also entered projects in the arts, food, sewing and gardening divisions.

Gen 2- From 2002 till 2013 I was full of happiness for my boys were raising pigs and taking them to the same county fair as I did. They too entered projects in photography, arts and gardening divisions. 8 years for each of them, and they have great stories about their experiences.

Gen 3= TBD… Now I have a couple more years to wait till my oldest grandchild will begin her adventures with 4-H and raising animals.

3 generations, many great memories made and to be created!

Fairs for generations!

Generation 1- In the late 60’s till 1986: My sisters were in 4-H before I was born and took animals to the fair every summer. We always had lambs up until my 7th grade year when I talked my parents into changing to swine. I went from clean and dumb, to muddy and intelligent.

The year was 1981, and I raised two Duroc’s. Both pigs made it to the Championship round and Tess (the larger of the two) was crowned. Then judge walked over to my 2nd pig to award the reserve. The judge was told to pick another for I couldn’t win both! A year to remember….

I continued with swine till 1986.

We also entered projects in the arts, food, sewing and gardening divisions.

Gen 2- From 2002 till 2013 I was full of happiness for my boys were raising pigs and taking them to the same county fair as I did. They too entered projects in photography, arts and gardening divisions. 8 years for each of them, and they have great stories about their experiences.

Gen 3= TBD… Now I have a couple more years to wait till my oldest grandchild will begin her adventures with 4-H and raising animals.

3 generations, many great memories made and to be created!

That's awesome the fair and 4-H has been a family tradition for so long!

I loved going to the fair as a kid, but I was never involved in 4h, and I was a city kid so I never had animals or poultry. My best friend was in 4h though and I loved meeting her in her breaks and we would walk around the fair for hours. We would go on the rides of course, see the animals, and nibble on some food. I feel like I always missed out because I was never able to participate in the fair other than being a spectator. I missed all of the "shows" too. This year I have 3 young children of my own, and a flock of 40 chickens, 6 ducklings, and 17 Meat Birds. I can't wait to go to the fair this year and see it in new eyes. I would love to get my 5yr old involved with 4h. She has already expressed her want to show poultry and she hasn't even been to the fair yet!

I loved going to the fair as a kid, but I was never involved in 4h, and I was a city kid so I never had animals or poultry. My best friend was in 4h though and I loved meeting her in her breaks and we would walk around the fair for hours. We would go on the rides of course, see the animals, and nibble on some food. I feel like I always missed out because I was never able to participate in the fair other than being a spectator. I missed all of the "shows" too. This year I have 3 young children of my own, and a flock of 40 chickens, 6 ducklings, and 17 Meat Birds. I can't wait to go to the fair this year and see it in new eyes. I would love to get my 5yr old involved with 4h. She has already expressed her want to show poultry and she hasn't even been to the fair yet!

Bet your daughter will enjoy going to the fair and seeing all the animals...maybe you'll get a chance to experience the fair as a 4-H mom!

When I was five years old, my mother brought me to our annual town fair. It was the first time I had seen a carnation, my mother having won the gorgeous red flower, for placing third place in a contest. She gave her prize to me. I held it proudly all day in my little hand, fascinated with the countless crimson petals.
That same day, I encountered my first petting zoo, where a shaggy gray nanny goat seemed particularly friendly to me. After many pats and ear scratches, I got up from my hay bale seat, and realized in horror that my beautiful carnation had been reduced to a green woody stump. Trembling, I admitted to my mother that her prize flower had been devoured by that gluttonous beast, and it was all my fault.
She picked me up in her arms, kissed me, and said it was no matter at all. Relief washed over me. She then proceeded to warn me that goats can and will eat just about anything! To this day, I still love fairs and especially red carnations, but I am forever cautious around goats.

Only one more week to go: Entries will be accepted until June 30, 2021 at 11:59 PM Pacific Time.

Hope we'll see more fair memories shared!

I went to a fair one time when I was 13 in Uvalde Texas. It was back when you know you think you are indestructible. Well I was walking around the fair and I noticed this contest they were having about riding this mean old Brahma bull. All you had to do was pay $30 entry and you could get your try. If you rode it you won $300. Well I was young and STUPID but didn't know it. I watched for a while and guys would try and try but get bucked off or thrown on there heads was more like it. Me being the loud mouth I am was making fun of them. Apparently I hurt one of the men's feelings, because he got ticked off and asked if I thought I could do better. Now remember I am 13, young and STUPID! I said I dang sure could if I was old enough, at least better than you. He looked at all the other men there, they all grumbled as they talked amongst themselves. Then he said, Hey we will pay the $30 just to see you try. I said, Bring It On like a big shot. Of course they thought I would never get on the bull. But I stepped up, got in the chute, got on the bull, strapped in and said LET'S GO! Never been on a bull in my life, but I rode that darn thing for the 8 seconds. Problem was I didn't know how to get off. So I just let go of the rope and away I flew or fell bull kicking my leg as I flew. Broke my leg, still got the scar, but I also learned a valuable lesson. That $300 bucks I won showing off, went to the Dr for my leg. Then my Dad wore me out with a switch. The Date was July 1979. I went on to ride bulls for sometime From 1989 to 2009 but I will NEVER FORGET that fair and a girl named Stacey Blalock!

Back
Top Bottom