Ended Official BYC 2023 Summer Fair Contest—Canning & Preserving Contest

Pics
Entry #1 green beans. I love green beans, they are probably my favorite veggie. Canned, fresh, steamed, frozen, love them all!
View attachment 3590120View attachment 3590121
I got an electric pressure canner last year, was reading directions and it said to only use wide mouth jars? Why? I only have regular mouth jars, so now I'm going to have to buy some wide mouth jars too I suppose. :(

I got an electric pressure canner last year, was reading directions and it said to only use wide mouth jars? Why? I only have regular mouth jars, so now I'm going to have to buy some wide mouth jars too I suppose. :(
I'm not sure why it says that, mine does too. So does my mom's but she uses regular mouth jars all the time with no problem. I prefer wide mouth jars myself

I'm not sure why it says that, mine does too. So does my mom's but she uses regular mouth jars all the time with no problem. I prefer wide mouth jars myself
Quick research online says that the Carey(Nesco) company pressure canner only tested wide mouth jars so that is what they recommend. I don't know what brand you have @BirdsBeesTrees but that's my brand. Seems strange though. I would use the regular mouth jars and not give it a second thought

Quick research online says that the Carey(Nesco) company pressure canner only tested wide mouth jars so that is what they recommend. I don't know what brand you have @BirdsBeesTrees but that's my brand. Seems strange though. I would use the regular mouth jars and not give it a second thought
I have Nesco too.
I just spent 40 minutes staring at my stovetop pressure canner, so boring. I have to watch it like a hawk because I constantly have to fiddle with the temperature on range. :rolleyes:
Oh well, carrots are done for the year. I have other things later that will need pressure canned though.

I have Nesco too.
I just spent 40 minutes staring at my stovetop pressure canner, so boring. I have to watch it like a hawk because I constantly have to fiddle with the temperature on range. :rolleyes:
Oh well, carrots are done for the year. I have other things later that will need pressure canned though.
I love my Nesco pressure canner. It's a beast, it does so much stuff. I would use the regular mouth jars you have and not worry about it

7 pints of carrots canned. (The other carrots were made into cake the other day. ;))
20230727_102743.jpg

20230727_141921.jpg

Entry #2 homemade onion powder. My watermelon started vining through and over my onions so I decided I better pick the onions. So, what am I going to do with so many onions at once? Make onion powder of course! This was easier than I thought it would be, pretty hands off with the dehydrator. The hardest part was slicing the onions through the tears🤣 The last picture also shows my spice grinder, that I used to make the powder
IMG_20230728_115310217_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230729_165316881_HDR.jpg

Back
Top Bottom