Ended Official BYC 2023 Summer Fair Contest—Canning & Preserving Contest

entry #3 raspberry jam from our own berriesView attachment 3579482
How lovely I made raspberry this year too..but have no pics of the berries..haha. mine are wild. Some jerk animal stomped on the plants though so I didn't get as much as I could..lovely jam.. I used a juicer to remove the seeds. Did you? Or are your plants seedless?

Freeze dried raspberries!

When our local produce barn has sales on fruit, we buy in bulk and freeze dry it. It’ll last up to 25 years, but it’s such good snackin it doesn’t last that long around here!

View attachment 3588404
I love raspberries..do you ever stick them in chocolate? 😃

Entry #1 green beans. I love green beans, they are probably my favorite veggie. Canned, fresh, steamed, frozen, love them all!
IMG_20230725_123349733.jpg
IMG_20230726_201523986.jpg

Freeze dried raspberries!

When our local produce barn has sales on fruit, we buy in bulk and freeze dry it. It’ll last up to 25 years, but it’s such good snackin it doesn’t last that long around here!

View attachment 3588404
We’ve been wanting to get a freeze dryer for awhile now…..🩷🩷🩷🩷

Entry 2 )
I walked width my goats in the forest, have nothing to do (usually i read some book there, but there was a little raining and i was forced to hide a paper book in a bag. At the edge of the forest, I found several small bushes of wild raspberries. I decided to harvest them.
Фото3920.jpg

Arriving home, I brewed and brought sugar syrup (sugar and quite a bit of water) to a boil, washed these berries, and poured them out there. Then I made jam.
Фото3930.jpg

The smallest jar of these is raspberry jam (550 ml). Well, I also made canned cucumbers and a couple of bottles of apple compote with the addition of black currants here. In general, it is customary to preserve compotes here in jars, but over the years of my life I have accumulated so many of these bottles (usually they sell carrot, pumpkin and pomegranate juice), that I decided, since they have very convenient, screw-on and airtight lids, to preserve in them apple compote.
There are labels on the jars - they have nothing to do with the contents, it's just that these jars once had other products bought in the store a very long time ago.
In Russia, this often happens, we buy canned cucumbers not because we don’t have our own at home, but because. that we liked the jar))) Purchased cucumbers, sour cream or juice are eaten, and the jars are then used for home canning. It seems that this has been going on since the days of the USSR, when people preserved so much at home that the entire Soviet industry did not have time to produce enough jars and lids. And then the hunt for jars of cucumbers sold in the store began. They were bought, eaten, and the jars were used for canning. Now there are enough jars and lids for sale in stores, but the habit of collecting old jars has remained ))
I like these not quite round, wide jars because cucumbers fit well in them.

Entry 3 )
Red currant syrup.
Фото3922.jpg

(red currant juice + sugar). (2 parts sugar, 1 part red currant juice).
Redcurrant juice is poured into boiling sugar (so that the sugar does not burn, a small amount of water is added to it and it is stirred), after which it is boiled and stirred together, and packaged in boiling form in jars, then the jars are turned over and remain until cool (to cover it didn’t break, it’s necessary to turn it over after 1-2 minutes, and not immediately).
Such a syrup is stored, however, only in the refrigerator or in the cellar, it is undesirable to keep it in the heat, it is not as resistant as well-boiled jam with sugar.

Back
Top Bottom